Living with Melanoma - An Ongoing Journey

• Belief and Recovery from Lymph Node Block Dissection

Right here right now I’m feeling quite mellow, let’s say cautiously positive, things could be heading in the right direction, maybe for the first time since my journey with melanoma began. I hesitate to be overly positive as we all know how cancer has a habit of not conforming

I’m receiving immunotherapy treatment on a 28 day cycle of Nivolumab infusions and have the second one coming up this week. I previously…

• When you find yourself in a position you could never conceive, what happens next?

This is a question I asked myself throughout my journey with melanoma, but particularly at the start of 2019 as I was half way through my immunotherapy course of ipilimumab and nivolumab combination infusions.

I recently finished that series of four combination infusions and I've come through it pretty unscathed. I have some very good results and I have now commenced on a single drug infusion programme with Nivolumab administered…

• Recovery with the help of animals

When I wrote my first blog post around a year ago I’d just spent a week on holiday in a cottage on the coast, with a dog for company. That companionship of a loving pet provided a lift to the spirits and a recognition of the importance of compassion, kindness and friendship.

It made me realise how good animals are at taking your mind from the often negative thoughts and worries associated with going through treatment…

• Encouraging a Sense of Perspective to Help Living with Cancer

One of the aspects of living with cancer is the sense of perspective it gives us. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. By that I mean it causes us to re-evaluate what we’re doing. To pause, reflect and check. We can call it the value of Acceptance and Letting Go.

We need to let go of some things and to encourage others. Ideally it wouldn’t be cancer that is the stimulus, but it is in my case, and I’m sure in…

• Fit to fight the battle

Physical health and mental attitude can be your strongest weapons in the fightback against cancer. This is a story of how diet and personal fitness can help you make a good recovery from surgery and respond better to immunotherapy. It's from my own personal experience, which I'd like to share to encourage others, and it would be great to hear of others experiences too.

From November 2017 to March 2018 I had three…