Prevention of insect bites after lymph node removal

1 minute read time.
GOOD NEWS - There is an alternative to normal spray or wipe on insect repellents. I had 18 out of 20 lymph nodes removed from under my arm after breast cancer surgery and the medics were/are emphasizing the need for extra care needed for my skin in the upper left quadrant of my body because of the risk of infection. I have been especially careful about avoiding insect bites because midges, especially, by-pass several hundred people before they hone in on me! I regularly walk in wooded areas and near ponds so I don't step out of the door without slapping on insect repellents. Now, I don't know why they call it INSECT repellents because it generally smells so foul it is quite efficient at keeping people at bay too. But - GOOD NEWS, I don't know how new these things are, I've certainly not seen them before, but I recently came across wrist bands that claim to act as insect repellents for 7 hours a day for two weeks. I have used them for several days and so far so good. I have only seen them for sale in my local supermarket (with all the travel gadgets) but I'm sure they must market them elsewhere. So, if you need extra protection - there is an alternative to smelling like an extra sour lemon. KateG
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well it works for mosquitoes definately on me! I buy the basic vit b complex with iron from maorrisons - cheap and work -  although i never tested them on midgies! Jools x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i too tried the vitamin B and have to say,  the only place i got bitten was on my bad arm!!!!! the lumps were like mountains, the buggers didn't bite anywhere else!!!! a friend of mine swears by "skin so soft" oil from Avon, i have tried that as well to no avail, i really do think these mosquitos and midgies just like a bit of good meat!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Alisonxxxxxx

• Hi everybody

I realise now that this topic would have better aired if I had created a forum but as I'm fairly new to the site I got lost on my way to create one. Anyway let's hope this reaches those of you who registered an interest. The active ingredient in the wrist band is Diethyltoluamide commonly known as DEET. The trade name of the ones I purchased is 'American Tourister' and they cost £2.50. Hope the information is helpful.

KateG