Three Years Forward

Less than one minute read time.

At about this time three years ago I was nervously trying to settle into my ' new home ' for the next two and a half weeks - a ward in Wythenshawe Hospital. My operation was planned for the following morning when the carcinoma was to be surgically removed from the floor of my mouth. It was a very strange feeling to be away from home, and whilst trying to be brave, a medic came with the usual forms and then proceeded to draw dots with what appeared to be a felt-tip pen across the front of my neck - from ear-to-ear - and then down the inside of my forearm. I was quite bemused by this and thought it resembled a child's game of Join the Dots or a more sinister instruction to Cut Here - the latter being correct ! But I live to tell the tale and although this an anniversary I would rather not have had to happen, it was necessary for my survival and my thanks go to the surgeon, Mr. Patel and his team. So now it's time to not only reflect on the past, but also to move forward with all the determination I can.

Joycee

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Joycee,

Happy Anniversary!! Another target you have achieved.

My husband Ken has been to see Mr. Patel this week at Christie! Mr. Patel was the first person he saw when is maxillary sinus cancer was diagnosed in 2005. He suggested what sounded like a really gruesome operation including taking half of his face off, taking the eye out as he would have no socket to support it and rebuilding his face over 2 years. As you can imagine we were totally shocked but he then said we could try some radio therapy first! It was an obvious choice to go for the radiotherapy. Whether this was the right choice is debatable as following radiotherapy, chemo, two operations followed buy more radiotherapy the cancer is still active and is now classed as teminal. We have not seen Mr. Patel for about 4 years as he has been under ENT but saw him this week to see if anything could be done forholes in the roof of his mouth and gum where the cancer has broken through from the sinus. Unfortunately he told us there is nothing to be done and we are now waiting to the the radiologist in 2 weeks to find out the results of the scan he had done at the beginning of June to see if any other tretment can be offered.

As you say it is now time for you to look forward and I hope all goes well for you.

Lyn

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy anniversary, its 3 years and 1 week since my op for lung cancer. Heres to another 3 years..........

Bill xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy anniversary Joycee, your sheer determination and positive mindset has got you through.

Have a lovley day

Love

Jules xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes well done joycee! You are helping me so much to be positive. It's hard and I am so tired and low after finishing treatment but I know that you did it so I can. I'm praying my taste returns and my ears get better. I need to eat iv lost so much weight but it's not easy is it!

Congrats again

Jayne x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Joycee

I will raise a glass of pink bubbly to celebrate your anniversary tomorrow!  Well done.

All the very best

Georgia XXX