Follow-up Clinic

Less than one minute read time.

Next week I have an appointment for a check-up and, as always, I am getting a bit nervous and apprehensive. It is almost three years since I was diagnosed with mouth cancer but somehow the fear comes back when I have to go to the hospital. My mind plays games and I am back on the table with the mask firmly in place having the radiotherapy..........but I should be grateful for the fact that this cancer has been destroyed. I shall strive be positive and keep smiling !

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I can totally relate to how you feel.  This week last year I was diagnosed with bone cancer and have since been treated and cured but each visit to the hospital still instills such fear and anxiety. I too feel I should be grateful but sometimes it is diffcult to be positive cancer is a very scary thing to have.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

HI Joycee

I know the feeling.  It's been over a year now that I finish radiotherapy (and cancer left me) but I'm still worried every time I have a test or a scan. Glass of red nectar (sorry, wine) usually calms the nerves!

All the very best

Georgia XXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Sarah and Georgia. Yes, I guess every cancer patient feels the same when their follow-ups are due - it's just so scary altogether and sometimes it becomes a bit overwhelming. But I shall try to keep faith with the belief that I am clear and smile nicely for the consultant - maybe a drop of nectar would indeed help ! Wishing you both well and take care.Love, Joycee xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, that's it for another four months ! I went for my check-up today and the consultant did the usual neck / mouth examinations and pronounced me okay. He even commented on how well I was doing, considering the surgery and RT, which made me feel good. Maybe the smile did it.......? ! ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lovely news Joyce! It must be the smile!

Following in your footsteps

Jayne x