Hurry up and wait a minute.

2 minute read time.

So here I am with this hideous monsterous lymph node thingy in my neck, which to be fair the NHS discovered for me, and I'm expecting heaven and earth to be moved in getting the damn thing and his mates out of me. Eventually, 12 days after finding it somebody actually calls me, not just any old body but somebody important from the hospital (at least she sounded important).

Am I free next Thursday....no no not the 4th that would be this Thursday....the 11th at 9.10am.

Ummm I guess so - is this for surgery???  No not at this stage it's just so Mr ******* can assess you.

Disappointment.

Now by my reckoning that will be 23 days from discovery of the lump that I get assessed and with the best will in the world I'm not going to be operated on on the 24th day am I?  All of which I find hugely confusing as initially this was a priority case.  Now a priority case flags up 'should be worried' in my world. I'm not a natural worrier but this is serious stuff, so I would like and presumed it would be, sorted like yesterday.  Given the apparent apathy with which the matter is being approached by the NHS, I now begin to think that maybe it isn't that serious after all (but somehow I feel this is wishful thinking and perhaps it's the first time the system is letting me down).

Still what can you do, it's not like you can go to Tesco for a neck dissection......well not just yet anyway.

Now i like to make lemons into lemonade, so think Steve what are the positives. 

No flicking needles for two weeks, yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Moving swiftly on.........

In my last blog I touched on things which annoy me, which may well have painted a picture of me verging on 'grumpy old man' - I'm not old I tell you.  So to put the record straight here's a few things, other than my family and friends, which do the opposite to 'annoy me'......umm struggling for the term...how about satisfy me.

John Travolta.  Was brilliant in Saturday Night Fever, lost his way then resurrected his career superbly with Pulp Fiction.  Coolest man on the planet (just ahead of Samuel L Jackson)....he's got his own airliner for goodness sake!!

Blueberries.  I know, I know, they came over from America but they're bloody nice.

Google.  How did I ever do anything, go anywhere, buy anything, find anything out before Google?

Red Wine. Enough said.

Ossie & Teila.   Our two dogs.  They don't care what sort of day I've had, they just love it that I've come home.

Cornwall.  The people are more laid back than Jamacians and the scenery is stunning.  Go for a meal at the Admiral Benbow in Penzance and tell me you'd rather go abroad - I'll know you're lieing.

Green & Blacks Chilli & Lime.  Expensive for a bar of chocolate granted but worth every penny.

Tottenham.  So much joy (and despair) over the years.  You can change your job, your home, your wife, your car, your face but you can never change your football club.  Come on you Spurs.

and finally and probably most surprising......

My job.  I love my work end of.

So as Julie Andrews said (sang you idiot) these are a few of my favourite things.  As with the annoying things there are more to come.....but not just yet.

Fingers crossed and positive thoughts for you all.

Steve

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Stevie

This is the third time of trying to comment here...  I'm starting to feel persecuted.  Stamina is definitely needed to use this site!

Firstly, Happy Birthday!  I would offer to give you your dumps, but I think between us, we already have enough lumps to worry about...  

Ignore Little My's remarks about my drinking, she's just jealous.  Anyway, I've stopped now as alcohol and pain meds don't mix, not if you want to stay awake anyway.  I'm also making sure my liver is in tip top condition for Thursday's chemo, even if it does feel like the rest of me is f****d!   So I will happily raise a glass of something fizzy to you, but on this occasion, it will have to be Andrew's liver salts!

As I said before, 50 is the new thirty, so no need to panic!  Hope you have a fantastic day.  Have fun!

Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is my 3rd time this morning too grrrrr... and all I want to say is..

Happy Birthday gorgeous! from someone else who still thinks they are about 16.. though if 50 is the new 30, then I am nearly there! h a ha!

So, being a lightweight like Sunny, I raise a glass of something boring to you.. Cheers!!

Hope you get to have some fun...

and did Sunny mean bumbs??? I'm the expert in the dumps department....

Little Myx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Little My, you are obsessed with bums and dumps - not everything is about you!  Stevie can have his dumps if he wants them, however, if you're offering him yours, I think you've gone too far!

Stevie, if you're buying slippers, make sure they're the tartan ones with the velcro fastenings.  Practical and stylish, they hide stains (I won't say any more) and they're easy to fasten!

Hope you had a good day!

Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Had a lovely day thanks one and all.

Have had a few glasses of ale and thought of you all.  

Good luck Sunny - will be thinking of you later - stay strong and thanks for the slipper tip, will come in handy with the dumps and all!!

Luv 'n' bubbles.

Steve