Why must it be different?

1 minute read time.

Did anyone wake up one day and think the world now looked different somehow? Not necessarily different good or different bad, but as if the colour palette or spectrum had shifted slightly? 

I did. 

The first time you hear those words, "you have cancer" you know life will change. You hope only for a short period of time while you have treatment and as aggressive and vile as that may be, you can compartmentalise it and think, "It'll be okay, and once it's over, life can return. I'll go for coffees, return to the gym, go for shopping trips and spa days with the girls again." But what if it never returns to coffee dates, gym mornings, shopping trips and spa days? Is the new normal worse than the old? Or does everything just look and feel different now, like the shine has begun to fade, ever so slightly. 

Cancer takes away choice, I think that's the hardest thing about it. None of us chose to be here, and I am sure I'm not the only one who heard,"You're now part of a club you never knew existed and you wish you weren't a part of." I'm sure I'm not the only one to have asked whether the club do membership returns, and whether I could please trade it in for a bad coffee and a stale biscuit instead? 

But does seeing the difference in the world make the world worse? For a (hopefully) short time, the world certainly feels worse; the sickness, the exhaustion, the anxiety were definitely not invited and none of them made life better. But after that, once the bell has been rung and the medications returned, why must everything still look different? It feels as if that shine has gone and the BC colour palette may never return... Like you can see two worlds, the world through the eyes of you before and afterwards too, like a hall of mirrors.

Let me know your thoughts. 

K
x

Anonymous
  • Thank you so much.

• Good questions and the article by Dr Harvey is really helpful.  Good luck.

• Dear K, I feel every word.  Life is different, and I imagine will always be different now. I know myself will be constantly waiting for it’s reappearance.  I’m only 8 weeks post treatment so still feel vile all the time, full of resentment and anger all the time, haven’t had my PET scan yet, that’s another month away so my life’s in limbo “Am I cancer patient still or a survivor” I certainly don’t feel the latter at the moment.  I hate this whole scenario and how it makes my mind work.  Nix

• Morning all. I came on this morning looking for some help. What you have written resonates deeply with me and this whole awful experience. My life just stopped one day really, not like I reacted in the moment but I must have done when I reflect .. sitting in a chair in Feb 23 being told it’s a tumour and seeing my wife burst into tears are memories I always wish weren’t mine. But they were and they are, I went into auto pilot later in the year being diagnosed with ASD was also another shock and a pang of anger to know that I had been navigating through 35 years in a neurotypical world with no real support or understanding and BC too? Wow I do think back and think fair play look how far I’ve come. I’ve endured 6/8 chemos and been admitted after everyone for something or other. My partner has become detached and I can’t seem to find the links to get her back, if it wasn’t for the medication controlling my medicalised menopause or this ynfaulted