Being bored

1 minute read time.

My dear mamma used to tell me that only boring people were bored. This is a painful thought; I must be positively stultifying, because, as things stand at present, I am pretty much climbing the walls - or I would be, if the walls in our house weren't made of cardboard, or close enough, and probably wouldn't take my weight. I'm thinking of poking out my own eyes just for the sake of something to do.

I still can't walk very far, and I hate having to depend on Judy to ferry me around. And people have stopped coming to visit, the novelty, presumably, having worn off. I can't say I blame them; since I never go anywhere or do anything, I have nothing to talk about. Hence: boring.

What can I do? Cook? I'm just not that enthusiastic about food at the moment. Garden? The garden is Judy's domain, plus the last bit of garden work I did knocked me out for several days afterward. The same goes for housework: I try and keep up with what really needs doing, but it's knackering. I did sew a button on a jacket the other day. I damn near broke out the flags and bunting to celebrate that achievement. Retail therapy is out of the question, as there's no money coming in - which is depressing enough all by itself. As for games ... I swear, when I come out the other side of this, assuming I do, I shall never want to play another game again.

About the only thing I have been doing is reading, and then writing snarky reviews of better writers than I am. (Here if you were wondering, which I doubt you were.) 

And just about everything is depressing: the news, the weather. The fact that the most excitement I'm likely to have in the near future is major surgery, which will then involve a long and grim-sounding recovery ...

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going. But, honestly, I think I'm about to grind to a complete .

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, everyone. I'm sorry to whine. I'm just so bored and isolated - I really miss having people to talk to, and going places, and seeing and doing things. Not even special things, just any old things. I have no doubt that, once I finally get my surgery date, I'll be wishing to have the boredom back again. Or, actually, I suspect I'll be even more bored, and even less able to do anything about it!

Eh, that cancer, it's a bugger, innit?

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hils

this is probably going to sound like a really stupid suggestion, but Tom kept himself from being bored by playing computer games... He used his playstation but there are free online games that I've seen before??

Otherwise, I'm sorry I can't think of anything else helpful!! Apart from plotting world domination

Lots and lots of hugs, and hope you hear from the hospital soon

CrazyCatLady xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Odin,

I do like the way you have tried to get me to bite, hee hee!

Well it won't work, I won't take the bait! Although just for the record I have no alarms, no electric motors and don't sleep during fishing.

Tight lines

Tim

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad to hear you're a good old-fashioned hands-on fishermanTim. Must be why you keep winning - Tight lines

Since there are no sensible suggestions Hilary, I can only suggest you just keep beating LM at WWF,

Big hugs,

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hils,

I challenge you to:

1) Teach yourself tatting

2) Write to your MP about Punch and Judy politics at PMQs. Mr. Speaker says the public hate it.

3) Buy a ball of string and learn macrame.

For diversion, have you tried these on Twitter?: Larry the Cat, Jeremy Hardy, Grey Sky Thinking.

xxx