Hubby passed Away

2 minute read time.

Well, as the other one seemed to work, here goes with the second one.

Because hubby was getting very agitated he was prescribed Medazipan, which I keep calling Marzipan!

This helped to make hubby relaxed by Friday and not agitated. The nurses also informed me on Friday that hubby is struggling to swallow and is no longer eating or drinking anything.

Friday and Saturday he would open one eye but not for long, drifting and very sleepy. But smiles at things you say, especially memories and things about him that he did or said.

Friday my Mum and Sister + her husband are away in Torquey, rang my Dad and he said he was fine to have kids for the night. I stayed at the hospice.

Saturday my Mum and Sister + her husband travel back from Torquey (a day early) the kids stay at my Mum and Dads. I stayed at the hospice.

Sunday morning, I woke up and said "Good Morning, I love you" hubby said "I love you too". I phoned my mum and asked if she could bring the kids to visit cause I wanted to see them, they were their normal boisterous selves - don't know why I was missing them.

My sister and her husband were on their way to the hospice.

My mum, my youngest and I were in the room, and my youngest was saying "when Dad dies can I have this thing that was dad's" "can I have that thing that was dad's" then said "Why has dad gone a funny colour".

Hubby drew his last breath at 12:20 noon on Sunday 25 September 2011.

My Mum took him out of the room, and I called a nurse. My mum went to the car park to meet my sister. The nurse confirmed that hubby had gone.

I went out to the car park, my first instinct was to not let the children see their dad - motherly protection. But the youngest already has. So decided to tell the children and give them the chance to decide for themselves.

So we told them, and my middle child said "No, he isn't" I asked if they wanted to see him and they all said yes. We went back into the room and my middle child went up put his cheek near hubbys mouth and said "I can't feel anything, he is dead". My youngest child put his hand near hubbys mouth and said "yes, I can't feel any air". They all said Goodbye and then my mum took them home to her house.

I stayed and sorted out his stuff with my sister. Then we went to my mum's. My mum cooked all of us dinner.

Now sorting out all the paperwork required and organising the funeral.

I feel fine, yes I am sad, but it was expected. Strangely I felt more upset on Thursday when he was agitated and pushing me away, than I do now. Everyone seems to be expecting me to collapse in a pool of tears, but I feel a sense of relief that he is no longer suffering and is released from this dreaded disease, it can't get him anymore, it can't make him suffer any more.

I have obviously over prepared the children as well as they don't seem to be too phased by the passing of their dad.  They have taken it really well, but I think it will hit them at the funeral.

I think now I am glad he was in the hospice, I think it would have been harder if he was at home.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sue I'm sorry, I have problems posting on this new site. Sorry to hear about David but glad it was peaceful for him and that you were there. You seem to have prepared your children really well, I shouldn't say this but it even made me smile a little when I read about them, so matter of fact and truthful.Really pleased you managed to say ''love you '' to each other. Will be thinking about you all in the coming days, sorry again about the last post. Take care Jackie xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sue,

Sorry about Davids passing, as you say now this awful disease can't hurt him anymore. You are coping extremely well and have done everything possible to prepare the children for what has happened. Grief doesn't have a time table or a pattern.

Keep surrounding yourself and the family with love and hugs 

Hugs Helen xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sue,So sorry to read of Davids passing,you seem to be coping really well and the children,like you say he is at peace and out of pain of this terrible illness,thinking of you all.Hugs Chris.xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Sue, I don't know what to say to you. All I can think is that I'm glad David is no longer suffering, but sorry that we've lost another decent human being to this dreadful disease and that his young family will be without him as they grow.

I admire the way you've prepared them for this, but you're right, it will hit them properly later. It just never seems real when you lose someone and it takes time to come to terms with the reality of it. I'm so glad your Mum and the rest of the family are there for you right now, and that you'll have their support over the coming weeks and months.

Please remember to look after yourself. My thoughts are with you at this awful time, take care.

Sending you a massive hug and lots of love, Ann x