So Why Me and Other Difficult Questions !!

5 minute read time.

Well here goes again, I am in my usual confused state and not ready to sleep right now. More random thoughts - not so much flowing through my mind but more chasing each other around - bit like a cat and dog fight, plenty of noise but none knows what to do when one of them gets cornered, so the cycle continues - so maybe time to separate them ?

Need to get my thoughts down on paper and see if they are just my insane ramblings or maybe the have some logic and substance to them, still wondering where this will lead !

Sometimes its just the most simple of questions that trigger the deepest thoughts, not sure  how it works for you ? OK so someone new to the site who is now in that dark lonely place so many of us have been in asks the innocent question 'Why Me !' and that should be valid question, especially on here,  but how do you respond when someone is scared and hurting ?

Maybe its a missing gene, a damaged chromosome, a freak of nature or even a question of abusing our bodies at some time in our life, drink, tobacco, lack of exercise - but in most cases we will never know. I should explain that I do not want to hurt or offend anyone - but my concept of God does not include any organised religious group. I do believe we are part of something so much great than us that we may not be able to understand the concept of - so do not believe cancer is a curse visited on for our previous sins.

There does not seem to rhyme or reason in most cases. Maybe the real answer is because it is ! If it was not me it could be someone I love and if has to be anyone - I want it to be me and not them !

Seems odd now but I always wanted to have children - but it never happened, we got close a few times - but again nature seems to know when things are going wrong and steps in - maybe that is the kindest way - but still have mixed feelings about that thought.

But its funny how life maybe deals you the right cards - but you only find out so many years later. Now its almost a sense of relief to not have children to worry about causing pain to when the time comes - think maybe thats the worst aspect of Cancer - we know we will hurt the ones we love the most and desert them, leaving them to cope alone after having causing pain, possibly over a prolonged period.

Still not too clear about what I am trying to say here - maybe I am back on my hobby horse - the real question may not be 'Why Me!'  but 'Why My Carers!' To my mind the worst aspect of cancer is not that some of us are robbed of what should be our golden years - when we reap the rewards of a long working life and sit back to enjoy a hobby or maybe go on that holiday we always promised ourselves. I do understand Cancer is no respecter of age and does strike those who should have their whole life in front of them, to raise their children and enjoy their Grand Children and I am not ignoring them.

But the people who suffer the most are not the Patients - we may suffer temporary pain, sickness and grief - but we are each an individual. In the vast majority of cases there will be several people who suffer as much as us and walk beside us on our journey. Our Partners, maybe Parents, Children, family members and even friends and lovers. The very people we need to protect - but then, when they have walked every step with us, we leave them to the rest of the journey alone.

We leave them to cope alone, in so many cases they see the end as something they may have to live with for ever - OK the Pain does reduce in time - but it hurts to think that because it is now our time we cause them further pain - and cannot be there for them. We all have an alloted time, some get short changed - some enjoy a longer span and I would never begrudge anyone that.

When its my time - Which I am determined is still several years away !! - I do not want tears, Flowers or grief - I need my Friends to celebrate my life - not morn my death - as long as I am in their Memory then I am with them !!

What we need more than anything is for friends to support our carers. Some will be left alone,  on a reduced pension, a single person in a world of couples - and this is the thanks they get them for devoting their lives to us. So no tears for those who have gone, they won't be of help to us by then. But maybe a phone call, an invite for coffee, drop in and see how they are or even just remember them on their Birthday and at Christmas with a Card and few kind thoughts. On the practical side the other thing you could do is when the time is right - see if you can help sort the bits and pieces our for the charity shops - you can more ruthless in the clear out than our carers may be !!

So not quite sure how I managed to end up saying this - pretty sure it was not in my mind when I started ! - Maybe my sub-conscious was just trying reminding me !!!

We can never say Thank You enough to Our Friends and Carers,  So please remember them in your thoughts at night - Bit late now I know but I hope I have prompted one or two of you to ring someone tomorrow, someone that you may of lost touch with or even just make sure they are on the Christmas card list.

You still have time to write that hand written note to go with the card - just tell them you are thinking of them please ?

Love and hugs  to all - but especially the Carers out there !

John xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

OK - first thank you to everyone for taking the time and the thought, the love and emotions expressed in your replies - think this is another example of the beauty of this site - we exist to love and support each other - especially those who are hurting now Patients, Carers and Family

So here goes :

Caroline - we offer you love and hugs in coping with the loss of a very loved Mother - you could not of done more for her - and she knew that, You tackled the role out of love and . coped when the experienced Carers said you could not do it -  but you did  it.

You have coped with outside pressures from employers - but please read what OH  reports says  - you have professional support on your side - honest.

Pauli - hugs - You have been through it so many time - it hurts to read it - Yes you make a very valid point - take the time now to prepare the Paper work - it does mean our wishes are taken into consideration and stops bureaucracy in its track ! - thank you for reminding us !

Nick - Know you have been a carer to both Parents and seen both sides - the Good and the bad side - nothing we say can soften the hurt of your Dads Passing - in this age no one should be left in pain or allowed to suffer at the end.

Know your Mum may have a limited time, but you have seen what good care can achieve, a safe, loving environment, with Good care, choice of menu, medical attention and proper consideration about pain relief

Tatars, OK what can I say -  maybe you are the reason I wrote my post - I know you are strong - but you have had to be !! You are the carer with children and the hole in your world, know words do not really help - you are not looking for sympathy and tears - but maybe support when it really hurts - only comfort I can offer may not help I know.

Your husband - the Father of your children is with you ! - does not matter what level we talk - maybe at the most basic his DNA is 50 % of the children's You love, protect and nurture - How can you every be alone when he is there in the ones you love - Do You remember your times together ? - reckon you were the strong one - I am not being physic - just know us guys know our place - he knows you will pick the right path for your children,  Its known as Love and Trust.

Sharon - Know you are hurting and thats OK - just take a baby step at a time - each journey starts with a single first step - if you ever need to rant, you know I will listen as will so many of your friends on here.

Val - thank you for suggesting I reminded you of a caring person who you loved and played an important part in your life. Do not hurt yourself about not being there enough for Mum  - She does understand and you and your sister have your own lives to lead - but her previous friends need to stand up and be counted maybe ?

Vikki - yes again you speak from the heart - we say in sickness and in health and a large proportion of us still recognises this as being a sacred vow that we will honour. The good we do lives on beyond us- thank you for reminding us - and no - none of us would choose a different path to avoid that hurt.

Masefield - yes we may be Patients - but look for those carers and give them love and Hugs when they hurt.

Cathy - our fears will pass - the carers will struggle with theirs for so much longer - when we go its over - its just the start for the carers  and so sad - but its then they find who the real friends are .

Rosie - Love and hugs Know you have seen both sides, not sure if Dads was Cancer - but a bit irrelevant - you have lost a loved one and now live in shadow so many of us know, Glad you seem to be responding and I agree - better us than them - stay strong Please

KateG - yes - people will forget what we said, people will forget what we do - people wil remember how we made them fell x

OK Love and hugs to all - thank you for caring and making this site what it is !!

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wish I could spell and type - but hell I do not multi task !!

Hugs Guys xx