Not Sure Maybe I am Just Selfish ?

4 minute read time.

Well those that know me will  know it does not take a lot to get me confused, maybe a glass of wine and a thought that I cannot get out of my head, the thought is usually in the the small hours of the morning when I am trying to get back to sleep. The wine is usually a good bit earlier than that !

OK first point I do not think for one second that any one child's life is worth more or less than another based purely on lifes lottery as to where they were born.

Yesterday it was announced that we would donate £814,000,000 toward providing vaccines in 3rd world countries with the intention of reducing the current death rates, the rate quoted was 3 children dying every minute and this is in the 21st century !! No one should denie these children the chance of life on moral or humanitarian grounds, we cannot stand by and do nothing.

Then the other thoughts creep in. Every time we turn on the TV or open a news paper we learn of the next world disaster, another 3 children dying every minute due to the lack of clean drinking water, 10 million people at risk of starvation because of drought and famine.

This is coupled with major disasters that seem to be happening with ever greater regularity, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and land slips. I am not here trying to beat the drum about global warming but it does look like something is upsetting the balance of earths eco-system. Each disaster is accompanied by requests for funds to help with its relief and each is a deserving cause.

The figure of £814,000,000 was a contribution to a world wide target of 2.34 billion - by my reckoning Britain pledged 1/3 of the total. OK maybe controversial but we are no longer a world leading power and it seems out of proportion in the current economic climate. We are almost bankrupt as a country but we seem to be able to find funds for munitions to fight wars and make charitable donations to other nations while ignoring the plight of thousands living in poverty in this country

The other side of the coin, open any newspaper or listen to any local TV news program and you hear of the latest person being denied life saving or life extending drugs because of the cost.

The child who has to raise hundreds of thousands themselves to travel abroad because we do not do the procedure here, nor do we provide them with the funding

The care homes group that have to shed hundreds of jobs, we then get assurances that this will not impact on patient services, still trying to work that one out to be honest !!!

Ok Got to declare an interest  on this one, hope no one minds the language but really peed off with the number of posts I read about cancer patients being denied benefit or have to prove that they deserve benefit because they are not fit to work - seems the work shy know how to manipulate the system while the genuine peopel who want nothing more than to return to work are called for examination to get the absolute basic benefits

Maybe some of you will consider me as being callous but unable to find a balancing point between cost and benefit. We have pledged to spend £814,000,000 on vaccine, if we save the lives of 3 children a minute that equates to 1,580,000 lives a year if the project lasts for 3 years that is 4,750,000 children. I am probably being naive but does this not further increase the demand for clean drinking water and further diminish the available food supplies. I know I am being simplistic with the maths.

Do we move on and try to lead the way in solving the water, the drought and the famine problems of the world, do we turn our backs and ignore the pain and suffering, A child born in a remote village on the African Continent is no less worthy of life than a child born in Britain, who is fighting for funding to fight cancer or other life shortening or crippling disease but how do we find the balance.

Lets not loose sight of maybe the most fundamental point that tends to be ignored. No elected Government have any money or funds of their own, what they have is access to our taxes and levies, raised from individuals and companies,  they administer and allocate these in our names. We elect them and trust them to make the best possible decisions and commit us to certain paths of action. But there are times when their judgement is more than suspect, it  is fundamentally wrong !

This will sound blunt but charity really should start at home, the donations we make abroad should be made from funds that are surplice to the basic care, health and welfare of the citizens who have contributed them. Not suggesting we should all expect to live in luxury or have unlimited access to welfare payments.

What we should not need to hear on the evening news is that some pensioners are now having to make a conscious choice to eat or to have heating, as they can't afford both. At the same time that we hear that Bankers are paying  themselves multi  million pound bonus's. We need to get a sense of proportion and reality in this country before we try to save the world.

OK Rant over and not suggesting I have any answers

Love and hugs To all XXX

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

John, I completely agree with what you are saying. Having heard today that an amazing little boy we knew, Nathan, died before £250,000 could be raised to get him the right treatment abroad... and so many other NB kids who have died because the treatment just isn't available here yet... You're right, no kid is more important.... but surely OUR kids are important too!

An argument I have heard all too many times in the parents room at GOSH and Harley....

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John, the foreign aid is GB plc pretending to be a world power, propping up corrupt regimes [anyone with oil] and doling millions out to countries like Pakistan who harbours more terrorists per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

I work part time, I got sick of the DWP trying to get me to jump thru' hoops and doing their best to stop my employment support allowance. I said 'sod it' and went back to work part time.I am in considerable discomfort and pain from damage from surgery and also arthritis but prefer to work in pain than beg off those w*nk*rs at the DWP. One of my favourite quotes they made was "just having cancer dosent automatically qualify you for benefits" When that statement was made I was knackered thru' radical surgery for lung cancer and the arthritis was just starting. I went back to work, part time and protected by the DDA. I told them to stuff their benefits. I didn't know how to fiddle the system but I have learned a lot in the meantime. If you are honest and proud you get nothing. Lie, cheat and steal and you get benefits for life. My biggest mistake was working hard, I have pensions I draw on [early] and have built up savings. They say I have too much money [what a joke]. Its all earned, tax paid and legitimate. My last 6 months off work, unable to work, signed off by my GP was all at my expense. No benefits recieved at all.

Shame on this bloody country of ours. Do we look after our own ?? Do we hell !!! I shall carry on working as long as I can, taking steroids, Tramadol, paracetamol, Diclofenac, Ramipril et al.

I should have been a lying fiddling, cheating MP.

Pissed off but still got my pride !!!!    Bill xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

John, you do not sound callous or blunt. You are right charity should begin at home. I could go on..but I won`t but at the risk of sounding hard (which im not) I think this country should look after its own...

Its a depressing fact and a sad one that we have such limited funding for cancer treatments :x   and our elderly and frail are not important :(  and children are still dying from neglect and cruelty because they `slip through the system`.....like I said I could go on.

I wish I had some answers too

Much love

scarlet xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John

You're so right it is so hard to hear the stories of home when so much of the taxpayer's money goes abroad in Aid. You never hear of anyone sending money here!

It is sad that anyone dies needlessly anywhere, let alone a child. What everyone seems to sweep under the carpet is that the Governments of these countries have a vested interest in keeping their people where they are and not improving things. It's all power plays and you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours amongst the various world leaders.

Unfortunately, once again it's left to us to dig deep and help who we can, where we can when it comes to the children of our country.

Love Max xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi john,

Anyone on here who knows you would know that you are not selfish at all, far from it you offer advice to all if it helps them.

Just needed to say that first

I agree with everything that you say john, almost everyday i see things in the news/papers or hear from friends or aquaintances about people young and old who dont get help with life saving treatments/ things like heating and food and although as you say no one wants to think that one life is more  precious than another , we arent a rich country anymore and it just seems that we are a soft touch for all the worlds problems, I know of a woman with children who was dying because she couldnt get the cancer treeatmen she needed, her family tried to raise as much money as possible but unfortunately she died before they could reach their target, the did donate what money they had raised to a cancer charity. and our young charly having to go to france for treatment it just doesnt seem right.

AS for the benefits system well, two young men were standing infront of me in post office and they were bragging about having the highest benefit for disabilty and living allowances and they thought it was great that they could go play kick about football in the day and go golfing!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been turned down for any benefit, I have a grade 4 arthritis in my knee and i have had to defer my op until spring next year because of my cancer treatment but it apparantly doesnt qualify for anything. ive ut on 3 stone in weight and gone up from size 10/12 to a 16/18 ish and its expesive having to buy clothing, petrol to hospital, etc and I know that there are a lot of people in the same predicament as me. but thats not too bad its much worse for people needing treatment and not getting it xx hugs xx

john I think you have said what most of us are thinking and ty for having the guts to stand up and tell us how you feel xx