Bittersweet!

1 minute read time.

Last night I got a massive shock. I am holding a charity night in June in memory of my dad who passed away last April. The proceeds will be going to the Macmillan Cancer Support and the local hospice.

I wanted to contact a couple of dad's close friends from the tenant's movement which he had been actively involved in most of his life. He was the chair of the Scottish Tenants Organisation which represented tenants from all over Scotland. He also had a lot of contacts in England and abroad.

Anyway, I thought I would look up one his friends online and came across a video made of a campaign in Glasgow and who did I see but my dad. He was then interviewed. What a shock I got. It was absolutely lovely seeing dad alive and well and, most of all, hearing his voice, but I was breaking my heart crying. I know I am lucky as I can listen to his voice whenever I want, something most people will never be able to do, but it was really hard and very very sad.

All of this took place while he was seriously ill with cancer, although none of us knew it at the time. The video was filmed about six months before he passed away, around the time I held a party to celebrate the fact that I had been given the all clear from cancer after six years. We would never had guessed that within six months dad would be diagnosed and die.

I don't know when I will have the courage to go back and look at the video, but I feel really priviledged to have had such a wonderful man as my father and also that I will be able to hear his voice again any time I want.

Love to one and all.

Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine,

What a very nice memory to have of your Dad, and to hear him speak. Look after yourself.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hello Christine we haven`t `spoken` before..i wanted to say hi and what a lovely memory to have. I would so dearly love to hear my Dads voice again. I understand it must be so heartbreaking and yet comforting aswell..bittersweet as you say..how true.

Ive read your profile tonight and I would like to send you my love and heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your dear Dad. I wish you well too Christine, you have been through so much xx.

Love scarlet xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi cristine

my dad passed away 30 years ago suddenly and i still think of him every single day when i went to my mums in scotland last year she was in hospital and i sat and watched a cd of mum and dads wedding all those years ago my son got it put on cd for her from an old cine film he found in the attic two years ago it was wonderful to see ,my dad gran uncles aunties all gone now but it was amazing to see them all so maybe you can put that video onto a cd lots of companies do it and it is lovely to keep safe forever

love and hugs jen xxxx

• I know how you feel; shortly after my sister died (of breast cancer) I watched a video of an amateur  concert . After the concert ended the camera was focusing on the audience, then suddenly the camera  focused on my sister as she was waving 'good-bye'. I cried buckets.  I don't think I could watch it again.

Best wishes,

KateG

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

How lovely for you hunni,

I have a film on the video camera from xmas day 2009, the day after dads diagnosis. I can't bear to watch it yet, just knowing i have it is enough for now!!!

Love to you mate. x