There’s not much of a vibe … there is no soup … but we will try and look on the ‘bright side of life.’

2 minute read time.

So here we are, The Hounds and I. 

They are barking madly as I write, protecting me from all intruders or, perhaps, waiting for the familiar sound of the car that is going to bring Our Hero home at last.

I feel I owe you one or two more posts – you who have travelled with us for seven months now.    

I realize that life is going on for you, but I miss your humour and compassion, so will you bear with me?

The suddenness of it all has surprised us.

Polite to the end, Our Hero caused us so very little trouble.  There was no being bed-bound, no Mac nurses visiting the house, none of that …   

But there was also no time.

We had been planning the next stage of action: cyber knife; radiofrequency ablation; or whatever it took to keep the flame burning.  And he was feeling fine. He was eating with dogged determination, driving the hundred mile trip to have radiotherapy, and walking better than I had seen him for months. 

Forty-eight hours later he is dead.

And now here am I.  The funeral is over, the memorial ‘bash’ is over, and everyone is gone.  The house is full of cards and flowers but,more than that, filled with a huge sense of absence.  

I am busily trying to stop up the aching empty spaces with photographs, with things that Our Hero loved, but I seem to be generating chaos – drawers are spilling out with memories, and everywhere my foot falls there is a shadow of the past. 

There is a terrible irony about the funeral/memorial arrangements that I will share with you: Our Hero, jokingly, wanted ‘Always look on the Bright Side of Life’ sung at his funeral, or he did before he became ill.  He would whistle and sing it to us all if we were finding ourselves ‘chewing on life’s gristle.’

We did sing it, with gusto, at his memorial send off.  We stood and held hands and laughed and cried.  Silly and wonderful. People went home whistling. 

But the irony is that Jonathan suffered so much and was so brave that, given the context of the song, it is not funny any more. 

To suffer with grace, with humour and quietness is truly heroic and Christ-like. 

But we didn’t  understand.

Lots of love to you all,

xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Grace,

It has been a privilege to share your hero’s journey as you both travelled the path so many of us must follow.  You are indeed his heroine.  

Take good care of yourself.

Daffie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I want to hug you and say it will be ok but I cant and it wont. Perhaps , just as we were devastated at the diagnosis oh so long ago but we learned to live with it and even refusused to let it destroy us, we have to learn to live this new life without our heroes. It is shocking, devastating, painful to the point of screaming but we will go on because that is what we do. You are a fantastic lady and your hero will be with you forever, not in body but in soul. You are so strong to have supported him throughout and that strength will see you through. Just as before I guess it is a roller coaster of bad days and bit better days till you can think of Jonathan and smile not cry. Love you, ((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My dear Grace

You are constantly in my thoughts and I can only imagine how you feel at the moment,but I know that Jonathan will always be with you and that eventually there will be more smiles than tears when you think of him.Make sure you and the hounds look after yourselves and I am always here if you need to talk.

Lots of love

Marianne xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Grace, I can onoly send you loads of hugs and say it is so early days yet for you.  Please keep posting on this site, there are so many wonderful caring folks who will support you through this dark time.  Hugs.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Heros are like that darling ..... herioc to the end - I know.

Expect angst and a permanent sense of unease and waiting.  But also expect compassion from places that will surprise you, care from those you can bare to accept it from.  Don't try to be many things for others, just try to be for now, it is enough and all you should ask of yourself.

Bury your head in the hounds and weep if needed, they are waterproof and will understand.

One day at a time, at your own pace.

With all my love Judi x