The Widow Vibe, the bottle bank, and the question of dignity ...

3 minute read time.

I’ll start with a little anecdote to give you a taster of the tiny readjustments I am having to make in my new life as a 'widow.'

It was bottle bank time at Cold Comfort Cottage.

It has been bottle bank time for months.

Like many other jobs that involve muscle, going to the bottle bank used to be one of Jonathan’s jobs.

It was, therefore, as a novice ‘bottle-banker’ that I found myself having to delve, reluctantly, into the dark, spidery spaces where the bottles are discretely placed (or slung). 

The bottles were duly stuffed into bags and carted out to the car – the smart, leased car that was courtesy of the wonderful Motobility scheme.

It took only about a hundred yards of my driving for the bottles to manage to wiggle themselves free of their bags, slip off the back seats, tinkle over, and start dribbling, drunkenly, on the carpet.   

What larks, my friends, as I pulled in the car to the nearest parking space, fielded in the rogue bottles, and mopped the wine from the carpet that was, almost, pristine. 

Sadly, the car was returned yesterday. Not being the Rich Widow, this was always on the cards.   Our Hero’s silver chariot was taken off to some auction, to be sold to someone (for very little, I suspect) who will have no idea of the drama in which the car played no small part. 

Perhaps the new owner will be transported by the faint aroma of old wine. 

I have to say I felt pathetically bereft as the car was driven away. 

Ah!  If lumps of metal had souls …

But, as I was dabbing up the wine spillage, with my bottom protruding out of the passenger’s door, I had a minor epiphany and finally understood something about this whole business of ‘dignity’. 

We worry about it a lot, don’t we? 

Dignity.

All that stuff our bodies do which we would rather never reveal. 

We worry about our own dignity:  we worry about the dignity of those we love.    

About twenty years ago, seeking some comforting words after my mother died, I mournfully complained to an uncle, who happened to be a psychiatrist, that my mother had ‘lost all dignity’ in her last days.

‘There is no dignity in death,’ he replied shortly.

You can, perhaps, imagine my indignation at the time.  It seemed very cold comfort indeed, and not what I was looking for.  

Twenty years later, I think I can understand what he meant. 

‘Dignity’ is nothing to do with death. ‘Dignity’ is shallow and trivial.  We are more than the sum of our bodily parts, our bodily functions; or malfunctions.   We are much more than this and, therefore,  'dignity' is really only to do with surfaces. 

So, in the wee small hours, if you worry about this trivial thing that is your dignity, or your partner’s dignity, or your child’s dignity -  remember that it matters not a jot. 

Perhaps you are all ahead of me here; I hope so. 

But I did worry, like a protective parent, about Jonathan’s dignity when I was projecting forward in my imagination to the probable outcome of his illness. 

In the end, it mattered not at all. 

We were both somewhere much more profound than that superficial place that we call ‘dignity.’

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello my friends.

Never fear, it won't be either The Hounds in harness, or shanks' pony - it will be a rather ancient, rattling Ford Focus estate.  My elderly but smart and rather cool little sporty number will have to go - no room for The Hounds.

Mo, in the UK even recycling bins have to be on their 'dignity', although with the antics of some of our bankers, bottle 'bank' does not sound either safe or dignified.  Oh - and don't talk to me about pension funds!  Grrr!  How Jonathan would have laughed when I was told how little his was worth!  It wouldn't even come close to feeding The Hounds!

Judi - you are a very attentive reader, as always. One of the things I was trying to avoid saying is that where you love, 'dignity' in extremis becomes a complete irrelevance, doesn't it?  We know that now.  I only hope that some others in Macland who are worrying about 'dignity' can get something out of what I was tentatively trying to say. As Julie says, I am thinking a lot about things ... much of which I still don't understand.  

Lots of love to you all and thank you,

Grace xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

PS Jewels - yes please to the cherry vodka and the cherries.  

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Please can I share the cherry, vodka and cake??

As ever Buzzie you have made me think. I've been pondering your post all day and questioning dignity and what priority it is given within the BF family. I haven't come up with any answers yet, so I'll continue pondering.

With lots of love,

Bad Fairy xx

P.S. You may like to follow Jewels' example of recycling the bottles.  Refilling them sounds much more fun than lugging them to the bottle bank!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My dear Bad Fairy

'Dignity' has sadly become a much debased word.  It used to be to do with 'nobility,' or being worthy 'of honour or respect,' but has now become associated with the whole business of how we are seen by others and how their perception of us is integral to who we are.  This is nonsense, of course.  Worse than that, it makes us frightened of losing 'ourselves' when our bodies are not behaving as we would like.  We are frightened and ashamed.  

As I say, these things matter not a jot. We remain ourselves, always.  

Bottles?  What bottles?  They have all gone now.  (Hic!)

Lots of love to you, Mr BF and JBFs.  xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Buzzie, your posts are always special, this one perhaps more so. My Mum would completely understand your feelings as the Motability car (also silver) was whisked away to auction. A car, like a home, has so many memories ...

You have such dignity in the true sense of the word. Thinking of you, friend, widow, Heroine ... Val X