The Widow Vibe … and some feminist difficulties

1 minute read time.

I was far from ready to be a widow – in so many ways.   

Let’s think about the word 'widow.' 

There is the Black Widow. 

There is the Merry Widow.

There is the Rich Widow. 

There are all those witches who are, without doubt, widows too. 

Chekov had a widow who wore her ‘widow’s weeds,’ but still powdered her face – a predatory widow, by implication.   

The word 'widow' is loaded with stereotypes which suggest that they are not to be messed with.     You must steer clear because they are dangerous creatures:  desperate, demanding, grieving.  Out of control.  

These negative stereotypes of widows most of us feminist girls of the seventies had not visualized as something we would have to experience ourselves and, stupidly, we had not created new roles for us to grow into.  After all, we didn’t really think we were ever going to fall for all that romantic happily-ever-after-richer-or-for-poorer-sickness-and-health sort of narrative. 

More fool us. 

Thus, the stereotypes are still there and, I don’t know about any of you girls out there, but none of these are roles which I feel happy to slip into. 

So, as well as this terrible problem of trying to fill the empty space in which my love used to live, a space which I sometimes see as this sharp cut-out of the shape where Jonathan used to be, with a howling black infinite nothingness yawning behind it, I have to deal with the new space I am supposed to fill.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Buzzie- wrote a reply earlier, but Google Chrome decided it didn't want to talk to Mac site.

Judi has written a lovely piece that is a wonderful theory.

Personally I don't see why you have to determine which 'stereotype' you are. You are a very special person in your own right. I hope we on here can help soften those 'sharp edges' where Jonathan was and help lighten the black nothingness with some gentle beams of sunshine to help you find your way.

Sending you some warm and comforting vibes.

Jewels xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello my Mac friends

Thanks for your comments on my drivel ... I think I was working towards something better, but I haven't quite got it worked out yet.

John - you are right about the soup simmering ... underneath the mental and emotional mash, the brain is still working furiously.  

Judi - you know of what you speak and I understand.  It is still the howling void just now,  but I can imagine that shrinking and becoming something concentrated and more manageable in time.  

Julie - this is something I have thought of a lot.  It seems so very, very unfair when there are all those unhappy relationships out there. If there is a place where all those we love gather, where all the best are to be found, then that is indeed heaven.  This, of course, makes where we are something else again ... Hell, perhaps?  

Jewels - I am not ready to slip into any stereotype (although Rich Widow might have been better than some of the other options).  The problem, of course, is I will have to reinvent myself in some ways and I still don't know how.  

Lots of love to all

xxx

Apologies to Chekhov who lost an 'h' somewhere in a glass of red wine.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Big hugs from me as well Grace. I sit here in terror of what I know is to come, and I change my theory on how I'll cope every day.

Clare x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Such early days Grace, i guess it will take time to reconsider feelings and prospects in order to adapt, become a new you. But not a new you just reset to cope with your loss, but not loss as you have indeed had something many do not experience but now that love is internalised rather than having a physical form. You are a loving and loved person who is suffering unmeasureable turmoil but with your strength you will find your way through and continue to be an inspiration to the rest of us, love leisha xxxxxxx (((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Leisha - you are absolutely right.  We had something that many do not experience.  It makes it more difficult in some ways, but will bring consolation, I hope.  

I hope all is well with you both - I am thinking of you.

xxx