Faith in experts.

1 minute read time.

I'm very new to these blog things. Not even sure if this is correct. I'm now 14 months post esophageal opp and although I've just had my 14th dialatation still having murders trying to eat. I really do not want to go to a feeding tube as I feel it'll be a step backwards on all the work that's been done by some incredible people. I'm not too bad with fluids and weight is stable.. I guess I'm trying to get advice on the best way to manage my food I intake and maybe some pointers with the best things to try and eat. Hopefully someone out there who has experienced this may be able to give me some pointers. I am incredibly lucky to have two fantastic Macmillan nurses and an equally brilliant medical team supporting me. But it's the people who go through this who can help others like me to "adapt" with the eating thing.

I really hope this makes sense and am more than happy to discuss this with anyone. 

I originally had non Hodgkin lymphoma in 2000 and have been in remission with that for many years, last year was a very big learning curve for me and my family when I took this new cancer in and hopefully stayed ahead of it.. 

I wish you all well and look forward to hearing from anyone with advice or just a supporting chat.

Anonymous
  • One last thing.. Stay positive, you best the sod before.... Do it again. Make yourself proud !. Sorry I've gone on a bit.. Hopefully we'll speak again. Wayne.

• Hi Wayne!

Yes, staying positive is difficult when you feel a bit like an alien, unable to eat what others think nothing of swallowing WITHOUT chewing! 

I had a meal in a pub recently and started the old choking thing. Luckily, it didn't last long and no-one stared at us. It does sound as if you are getting better if you can eat normal food sometimes, albeit with water and mashing it. I'm still at that stage and didn't have as invasive treatment as you. I remember having the chicken or mushroom soups and picking the bits out though!

I try to eat something new every day and see how it goes. If it's a failure, I make a note in "the diary" (which lists all treatments/medicines/ food, etc) and if it's a success, it goes on the shopping list again. 

I see the haematologist on Tuesday (21st) so will know the score about my lymphoma then. As long as it's not more radiotherapy - had enough of that for a lifetime! 

My dietician suggested TUC biscuits with butter on (and any spread you fancy) as they are "greasy" and go down easily once chewed, so most of my teas consist of those. At least it gets the chewing muscles going!

Thanks for replying and positive vibes!

Susan

• Hi Susan, good news about the tuc biscuits, I'll have to try those. But it did remind me of the breadsticks and cheese dips. For some reason I found them easier to swallow, and I could manage a fair bit.  Cheese..salsa..chive.. All went well. It's now slightly better now I'm taking 30mg of disolvable lansoprazole each morning. Wishing you well and good luck on your next appointment. 

• Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying. My world seems to be a constant stream of visits to the hospital. (and has been for the last 12 months!)

I'm glad to hear you are managing to eat more "normal" foods, even though eating out is still scary. I had a coughing fit the last time I went to a restaurant, so know exactly what you mean. 

Have you tried a delivery service like Wiltshire Farm Foods/ Oakhouse Foods that make meals catering for people who can't eat real food yet? I used them for 5 months until I could manage better so I didn't have to cook and then mash everything? It may not appeal to you but you could look. All meals are graded from pureed right up to "proper food". 

After that, I transitioned onto Shepherd's pie, Cottage pie and fish pie, with a great deal of MASHING!!!

My main problem still is stuff in the throat caused by RT, which I'm going to ask about on here. 8 months post op and still not cleared. 

Hope things are getting better for you. Am 12 days into first chemo session today. 

Susan