Left to Die?

1 minute read time.

The NHS can really leave me feeling massively let down sometimes. Some say things to you that they either don't mean or they are too forgetful to actually do their jobs properly. It's just so aggravating. 

Perhaps they don't realise how much we hold on to things, especially what is likely to happen next with our care. When I get told to make an appointment for 6 months time so they can run blood tests and scans, you can bet that those words will rattle around my head everyday for the next 6 months waiting for the chance to get another look at whether the disease has returned and progressed or not. There is nothing else to hang onto. 

So when you ask why the appointment is over when they haven't even mentioned taking blood from me, and all you get back is a confused look, suspicion started to run wild inside you. Pressed about the scans I was told I'd be entitled to given that a primary site for my cancer, that has been labelled 'skin cancer' for lack of insight and a better 'best guess', has never been identified, I was then told that follow-up scans aren't routine. Deception seems to be quite routine however. Lucky us. 

They'll only offer you a scan when it's too late. It's just a guide for the surgeons. We're not interested in helping to actually keep you alive. We're quite happy with our 'ignorance is bliss' attitude. After-all, we're not the ones with cancer.

I then get told that they're not even sure how I would go about getting a scan privately. I suppose I can believe that. I can see there attitude is that they don't want to waste money on patients who don't present with symptoms. So you're gonna have to come back when you have tumours popping out of every nook and cranny. Riiiiiiiiight.

Now it's up to the oncologist who told me to chase up a clinical trial, that I soon discovered had been running for 4 years and was about to end in the next 2 months. Gee, thanks dude. That's so incredibly fucking helpful of you. More deceit. 

Might be time to find a more bothered hospital in London, than this bullshit. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well Katherine Jenkins is single now, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's in the mood for another man (anytime soon either). But you never know. Kath could bump her head very very slightly. Suffer the mildest of mild concussions, and decide to call me. Or I could keep dialling random numbers until I find hers. Believe me, I've thought about it. heh.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry I didn't really answer your question. Well, having seen the rate at which my cancer progressed initially (it wasn't slow), I'd be much more at ease if I knew what the hell was going on inside me now. It's peace of mind. How can I live with myself if I find out in six months time that if I'd had a scan now and they'd caught it growing again sooner, that I'd stand a better chance at a full recovery, than if I'd just not bothered getting a scan.

It's hard enough that you have twinges from the surgery, and you have to try force the idea out your head that it's worth worrying about. It's weird but, I wasn't expecting anything to rear it's ugly head months after surgery, but as time goes by, the greater the odds that it's either gone or gonna come back soon, you know?  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This dermi today totally just lied to me. I wish I still had the form I submitted after that previous visit. You have to give it to hospital reception when they book your next appointment for you. It actually had written on there 'reason for visit - blood test'. Today I just got a blank look when I asked what about the blood test? It's inside me and they keep looking at my skin. Hello!!! You're looking in the wrong place. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I know exactly how you feel, three years post surgery, I constantly find myself wondering whether it's three years behind me or I'm running headlong into another recurrence!