Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is good to have Bert home at last. However, it is a bit scary. I am sure as time goes by he will get much stronger and will feel better He never lost much weight but lost all of his hair with the 3rd cycle and just as it was coming back he lost it again with the last cycle but if that is all we have to worry about then that's fine by me.

Back to the clinic on Friday he has still to have a bone marrow aspiration but we don't know when that will be we will keep posting and let you know .

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well that is a week at home already doesn't time fly when you are having fun! Bert is doing ok still waiting for bloods to recover he has been back at the clinic 3 time this week already so hope todays results are ok. saying that he does not need to go back until next Thursday, provided everything is ok. Will let you know

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi to you both and I really pleased that things are going well and life is getting back to normal. I can't beleive where the last 6 months have gone since Novemeber and Mums and Berts treatment started, Mum is still at home , receiving treatment once a fortnight to keep her  disease free as long as possible, and she is feeling better, still tired, but is managing okay.

Love to you both, keep in touch,

Lynn

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bert is still struggling with mobility and tiredness despite me trying to feed him up and get him fit again. He has constant bone/joint  pain which he never had before to this extent.At the moment he is poorly again as he has C Diff again, I have taken 3 days off work to try and spend some quality time with him but he is not well enough for us to go away still never mind we can do that later. He still has to have a bone marrow biopsy to make sure everything is ok but his platelets are still too low for that to happen just yet. I will let you know when it does

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi on top of the C Diff Bert now has Bronchitis so its another antibiotic for that. the Antibiotic for his C diff has to be taken for 8 weeks to try to eradicate the little bleeper. Clinic appointment was cancelled due to the C Diff so he will not be see until next Thursday

Will let you know

Love Teri