Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thats good Teri. Bet he can't wait to come home and eat home cooked food. I know my mum can't wait.

Glad his temp is normal. Mums is good too. Her netrophils are still low, but not gone any lower than yesterday. Docs think they should be ok by weekend or at least next week.

Must go to bed now, getting too addicted to this site.

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri

Any news today just before I go and get in my warm and cosy bed, got electric blanket on.

Hope Bert is ok. When can he come home?

It was dads birthday today and all the nurses (12 of them) came to see dad in mums room and sang Happy Birthday to him and baked him a cake. How sweet is that?

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Belinda He was agitated all day I phoned him this morning and he just didn't sound right,he said he feels fine but was very weepy tonight. his IV antibiotics are finished so I hope his temp stays down. His BP is still very low but they don't seem too concerned so I don't really know if ther is anything wrong or not. Time will tell we are just waiting for his bloods to come up then hopefully home for a while all being well

Love Teri

How is your mum?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

How is bert today? has the infection now gone and signs of him coming home for a few days? i hope so, is bert drinking plenty as you said his BP was low and this can sometimes be a cause.

Keep us posted and take care

fudgecake x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, How did the chat go today? I am sure you were on 'good behaviour' and went suitably armed with all your queries, questions and concerns?

Hope Bert continues to make progress, any more news on the slightly raised PSA and if perhaps the cause was chemo?

Trust you are Ok and not too whacked after your busy day.

Do keep us posted, Love Debbie xx