To all ladies on Letrozole.......

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 163 replies
  • 327 subscribers

Hi girls. I have been taking Letrozole for almost 2 years now. I have developed a love/hate with this drug. I love how it keeps me safe, but hate the sore joints it gives me. 

I have tamed the side effects with cod liver oil and glucosamine.

I recently bought my usual cod liver oil supplements from Holland and Barrett. I trust their quality. This time their best offer was cod liver oil with calcium. I thought I would give it a try..........IT IS MIRACULOUS!! The pain in my joints has stopped altogether!!

They should prescribe on the NHS!!

Hope this helps all you sufferers of side effects.

Love J xx

• Hi everyone,,

I have been on Letrozole now for 5 weeks, the first 4 weeks were on a brand made by Accord, and ive been absolutely fine, but when i went for my repeat prescription and started on the 2nd packet last tuesday, made by a company called cipla, I now see what you ladies mean by different brands causing different affects, I have been on the cipla brand for about 3 or 4 days, and noticed a difference but last night have not had a good night at all due to joint pain mainly in lower body,,, so how do i get the other brand Accord, do i ask chemist this next time i go for repeat, because i cant live on painkillers for 5 years thats for sure,,, thanks ladies

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kargus

Hi,

Funny you said that- I started on Accord for the first 4 weeks and have now been switched to Sandoz- at the moment I don't have any side effects  - but it is only 4 days I will certainly look out for them- I think you must ask your GP to go back to Accord. As many other people have said- it may be the fillers that have the reaction. I thought it might be the codliver oil and calcium- but will certainly keep taking them.

Good luck- let us know how you get on

Lynne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My GP tells me it is up to the pharmacist to decide what brand you get but I've been put on Accord by the oncology team at the hospital (so far nothing major in the way of side effects) but am now worried about what will happen when they run out in a couple of weeks. What dosage is the calcium and fish oil that works for you? How much calcium and how much fish oil? The supplements seem to vary widely. I used to take a calcium and vitamin D supplement before all this happened but when I checked the dosage on the pack it was very low compared to what you get if you buy the two separately. If you've got one that you've found works it would be very helpful to know what dose it is. Thanks.

• FormerMember

the Holland and Barrat work OK for me, as do the seperate ones I got from Lloyds. However as far as the brand is concerned I am sure you can throw your toys out of the pram if it is the case that other brands have side effects

Lynne

• FormerMember

I went in to the local pharmacy this afternoon - it's also a big homeopathic centre. They advised me to use pure fish oil supplements rather than cod liver oil because apparently fish store all their toxins in their livers. I'm sure it makes minimal difference but I thought I'd pass the info on.

• FormerMember

I have been on Letrozole for just over one year and the CiPLA brand suits me best.  I always order my repeat prescription well in advance then ask the chemist to dispense that brand, this gives them time to order it in for me.  So far they have always come up trumps  remember you can always take your prescription elsewhere where they will fulfil your request.   To anyone still struggling keep experimenting with different brands until you find one that has little or no side effects.   Whilst experimenting asI your GP to prescribe a pain killer gel such as Phorpain gel for aching joints.  Take care

• FormerMember

hi janet I have just had my first oncology and been put on letrozole. He had also given me adcal which is the calcium so you can get this on prescription . He also recommended taking evening primrose oil

• FormerMember

update on evenin primrose Have now been told by bcn that they dont recommend the evening primrose but instead has recommended agnus castus, a herbal remedy Has anyone else tried this ?

• FormerMember

still waiting for a reply to this thread

• FormerMember

hope someone can help Also am getting a lot of lower back pain Was wondering if its the brand of letrozole I am on I am on cipla and has anyone found the best way to take these that may help or a better brand