Cancer V's Marriage

2 minute read time.

Hi All,

Today I need some sort of a release and writing on here is proving to be something that really helps me get through the days...

To give you a bit of background I am 28, my husband is 26. We have been together for just over 3 years and 2 of these years we have spent living with 'my cancer'.

My husband and I got married in September 2015 - About 6 weeks before the wedding I was given my second cancer diagnosis, this was the metastatic spread into the chest lymphnodes. I hadn't yet had a date for surgery etc but I knew I still wanted to continue with the wedding plans and get married. We had a 3 week honeymoon to America booked - This was cancelled as I couldn't find anyone to give me significant travel insurance and also because my surgery was scheduled for when we would have still been away. We went up to the north of Scotland for a few days and it was lovely.

In October I had my surgery - This one was worse than the first. My husband was great, he came to hospital everyday and every night, he stayed by my side and did anything I needed him to do. When I was discharged I went to stay at my mum and dads for a few weeks, they are both retired so someone was always around to help me when I needed it. I know that this made my husband feel a bit left out, I did try and include him as well, he came round for tea but he didnt want to stay over night with me here. The longer I stayed away from our home the harder I found it to go back there - I felt comfortable at my mum and dads and I didnt want to go home to be alone most days. I did it eventually but probably more so to please him rather than me being ready to go. So when I did go home I walked round to my mums and spent most days here anyway.

I have struggled this time to talk about how I'm feeling (I am seeing a medical psychologist) in particular with my husband. I have completely gone into shut down, I dont want to talk to him, I dont want any sort of effection and we havent been intimate in a while either. It came to a head last week and I have been staying with my parents since Friday and we have hardly spoken... I know he feels shut out but I cant bring myself to talk to him as I dont want to break this wall down as I am so scared of all the emotion that comes with it.

How do you we get back to normal? What is my/our new normal?

How do I know if its because of the whole cancer thing that I'm feeling like this or if its actually the relationship?

Who knows.....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jena

I recognise "The Wall" you describe - mine felt like a one-way mirror: I could see all that was happening on the other side but felt completely trapped to communicate with the person on the other side - my now ex-partner - he finally called time on our relationship just before this past Christmas (4 months after my final Herceptin treatment).  I should probably have got 'proper help' much earlier and to be fair, my partner would probably have benefitted from counselling too. 

So, I understand some of your pain and how difficult to take the first step is but I would urge you to try and make contact - if it feels too exposing and you feel too vulnerable to do that face to face, try writing to him: sometimes that allows us to be freer from the fear of breaking down.  If that feels too challenging how about exploring possibility of joint counselling - having an objective person in the room may make it easier for you to have these difficult conversations. This cancer experience doesn't only affect our bodies - our minds are very sensitive organisms which get damaged too - regaining our bodily health and strength is one thing but without healing, our mental health stays challenged.

Sadly, it is now too late for me to regain my life together with my partner - I'm currently packing up the house we've shared for 5 years and it hurts like hell to know my life here with him is over - don't let your fear stop you from having a future with your husband.  Your parents brought you into this world but you chose your husband to share your life - they all have a role to play in helping you through this - sharing what is inside your head with your husband is very scary but keeping it locked inside is damaging you both more.

None of this is easy and I wish you lots of luck and hope some positive thoughts emerge to help you and your husband through this very challenging time in your marriage. 

All the very best from JeannieP