not waving but drowning

• waiting on the sidelines

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've lost count now of the number of weeks we've all been waiting for a REAl diagnosis for dad-in-law. He's had test after test after test: but still no actual treatment. Maybe at 97 there isn't any.

He still won't eat more than the tiniest quantities. He's lost so much weight, he looks like someone from a concentration camp. It really is pitiful to see. He is terribly weak and can't get out of his chair…

• yes, everything's fine, thanks

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Back to school today (I'm a teaching assisitant working with primary age children). Usually I would be complaining about the end of the holidays but reading blogs & comments on here I'm VERY aware that I'm lucky, lucky, lucky to be healthy and able to go to work. Hideous cancer puts everything else into perspective.

J had a day off from caring for his dad yesterday (Sunday) so he relaxed by working like…

• my family and another animal

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My lovely family and Wee Dug last August, before we knew my dad was dying and before J's dad was diagnosed. Our last family holiday before #1 girl (front, centre) went to uni. Son and #2 daughter have grown even more since then. So have I (horizontally).

• keep taking the tablets

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So, after some prompting, I went to see my GP (a locum whom I hadn't met but never mind).

She was a bit gobsmacked at my 'short' version of my woes & complaints but listened kindly and sent me off with a fistful of prescriptions.

And that was that. I will be All Better soon and not complain so much as I will be drugged up & docile, I hope.

It was only after I'd left that I realised she would have…

• update on DIL

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for your kind comments and hugs, everybody.

The latest today is that a syringe driver is being fitted, a Macmillan nurse is caring for DIL in the care home and he is too far gone to be moved to a hospice (or to any other place, despite J's bossy sister's somewhat harebrained ideas). As usual, it's not possible to give a time frame, but the mac nurse reckons on days at the most. (Which is what I'd thought…