not waving but drowning

• GLOOM

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It was quite a good day, for a Monday. It rained, of course, but I didn't collide with any deer on my way to work, didn't get held up in roadworks or stuck behind a tractor.

When I got home, J was still out at his dad's but was back in time for tea.

Today's alarming news was that my stepdaughter's dog had had a fit this morning, and her partner had been bitten when trying to stop the dog choking on its tongue…

• for the attention of Odin and other hat-wearers

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Here's my daft husband last year in his daft hat (with feather). The hat looks much more disreputable now. The offensive weapon in his hand is a walking stick he was given as a retirement present in 2008 (in case anyone was alarmed).

• scattering ashes

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's been ten months, nearer eleven, since my father died and all this time his ashes have been sitting on a shelf in the undertaker's cupboard while my mother decided what she wanted to do with them.
    My mother and I do not have an easy relationship: we don't 'do' feelings, for example, never have. This week, sherang up and announced that she and her large and weirdly-behaved dog were coming to see us. Oh the…

• the end of a chapter

FormerMember
    FormerMember

J's dad died about 3 a.m.on Saturday 23rd June 2012. We had bee tensed up waiting for it to happen since 8p.m. on Thursday... It was a difficult couple of days and nights (or however long it was) with 4 adults in his room at his bedside (his 3 offspring and me, there to keep an eye on J).

On the last night we were joined by Margaret, a lovely Hospice at Home nurse, who was quiet, calm, gentle and efficient, and…

• thought for the day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I made this years ago for my lovely John because it sums him up. Everything he does, he does out of consideration for someone else. It sums up my wonderful friends here in Mac Land too.

Big, grateful hugs to you all. x x x