Swelling of foot,ankle and leg.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hya all,

anyone suffered from swollen feet and ankles after chemo?

I had my last treatment on March 15th and a couple of days later noticed my left foot and lower leg was swollen and tender. 

Its stayed like that ever since, over 3 weeks now, and feels worse after being upright for a while , not helped by packing and moving house in the last 2 weeks! My right foot is also a bit swollen also.

ive had ultrasound which ruled out vascular disease and am waiting for scan appt to look at my veins. It feels like severe fluid retention to me, which Ive never suffered from ever.

Anyone had this after treatment?

• Awww, Linda, 

so sorry to hear this, hope you feel much better very soon. It sounds a good class, maybe I should also find one and join, need something to keep me reasonably fit, and increase my mobility in my old age. (I'm 70) 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes, i had a few weeks with swollen feet and ankles. It was worst if i sat or stood about and didnt move around. I wore compression socks during the day and eventually it settled down and went away. I have been ok since (touch wood)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thanks moomy. 

What a lot you know, such s fount of knowledge. 

Having had a lovely chat with my new and young doctor, we've agreed to try water tablets for my swollen feet and calves. My blood test showed borderline raised calcium levels so she's keeping an eye on that too. I'm still having a scan on my veins to check for damage and DVT but I feel more reassured by our chat. 

Im hopefully going to make next Friday's Hatha yoga class - it's a male teacher so that will be interesting!

I feel so much more positive moving back to my little town 5 minutes from my daughter, who has been such a support and friend to me. I've already been out to more social events in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 6 months! There is life after Lymphoma!

I get my results on May 9th......fingers crossed. 

Linda X

• Aww, Linda, bless you! 

Hoping for a brilliant full remission for you.....

And a safe and worthwhile move, too. Tell me more about Hatha yoga, have a friend who apparently does that, too.....

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thank you. 

I promise to post with bells on if I'm all clear. 

Hatha yoga is the traditional form, no 'power' yoga or fusion stuff. 

You move and stretch to your own level and it's excellent for deep breathing and calming the mind - best cure for a headache I know! Slow stretching has been proved to keep muscles and joints flexible and strong, and the dynamic postures keep you fit. I am 68 and right now I'm walking like I'm 100! My joints are stiff and I have no muscle tone at all. I am not good at self discipline; I know what I should be doing but find it hard to get going by myself! I need the discipline of a class, hence joining the local gym to kick start myself. 

I have had heel pain for the last few weeks which is very frustrating as it's difficult to walk properly without limping - bad for knees, hips and back, so floor stretches will help me with that I hope. 

First class on Friday and a gentle exercise class next Monday. Watch this space.....

Linda X 

• Thank you, Linda, sounds like I need to find a class round here! 

Hope you manage this, it really does sound excellent. 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sounds similar to my symptoms. Does the warmer day exacerbate the situation? Did the doctor make any judgment on this? As I grow older, my legs often swell due to sitting in a chair for a long time, especially in the summer. My doctor advised me to take diuretics and raise my legs. Other than that, 20-30 mmHg men compression socks work for me, and I usually use them during the day. If your doctor allows you to do this, then you can try these methods.

• Hi  I see this your first post so welcome to the Community.

This thread is a few years old now but let’s see if the member is still looking in as often folks do move on with life post treatment.

If you need any specific support the site is organised into various groups so we do have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific  and also ones that are general Cancer experience groups.

To join groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'

You may want to put some information in your profile can help a lot Click here to see how to add details as this helps everyone to see a little about you

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge