2010 Calender

Less than one minute read time.
Hi Everyone, My name is Patrick and I am a carer from for my wife Michelle, who has cervical cancer & Lymphoma. I've had an idea for raisng money in the form of a calender, which everyone on this site can join in on. I have emailed my intentions to my local ( Leicestershire ) Macmillan office and they have no problems with me doing it at all. I've also emailed admin and the press office of " What Now" and at this time I am waiting for permission from them. I already have a couple of people really interested in helping out, and any others are more tham welcome. When we get started, we'll need your ideas, stories & photo's. Please bookmark this blog and I'll update it when I know a little more. Patrick.
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I agree wholeheartedly with Am4nda (above) in that it should be different/risque/unique. As the general consensus outside of anyone who has encountered cancer in their friends or family that it means almost certain death and sitting in bed with a chemo drip going into your arm - so perhaps we should do something that shows how people still manage to live, laugh and have fun? What about picking 12 people who all live their life to the full, confronting expectations on a daily basis. We could call it "Cancer: sometimes things happen in life that change you" as a title, and then each month would feature a really great photo, shot in an arty way, of the person doing their happy thing, from abseiling to dressing up with the kids to walking the dogs ;-) (so, for instance mike on a bike in all his gear ready to go) and you could have a short quote from the person followed by the type of cancer they have. This would show people that we are all still human, and not dead yet! You could also feature a short piece of writing, longer quote or poem from those who are reluctant in the photo stakes!! ;-)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Great idea, will add my support but I refuse to take my clothes off . . . .

I'm not terribly imaginative for ideas but very practical to turns ideas into reality so please let me know anything I can do to help

Sharry x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've just told my mum about the calendar and she said "what a great idea" [can she have one].  I asked her for a theme idea and she said "nothing depressing - something happy" - so i guess that fits with exactly what you are saying tgirl.  Just an idea ...(and I'm sure I'll have more and more importantly other people will to), but how about picking something that relates personally to each month for people- rather than the obvious... xmas in december, easter in april, etc etc, something "special" "different" "world changing" that happened in that month.  An example I can think of is my introduction to Patrick (the calendar leader) in June - so June would be the theme of friendship - with a poem about friendship and then a personal quote saying how this horrible gremlin of cancer has brought some good as it has allowed some life long deep freindships to develop.  Just idea number 1 - idea number 2, 3,4 to follow lol

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Those of us who are "camera shy" - steroid moonface is NOT a good look but prefer to be behind the lense (keen shutterbug myself) could we not, submit a photo that we want, something that means something to us - whether it be inspiration, hope........or just a happy place???

Do "we" have to feature our mugs??

As you are probably going to have more submissions than months, maybe a montage cover or insert so that lotsa little photos could be made to represent the big C the word Macmillan or something.......so thats lots and lots of people can get involved, even in a little way - rather than having to choose only 12 and leave some disappointed????? Just my 2 pennies

Debs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My vision right from the start was a calender for us all, and if anyone was to be left out it would be a dissapointment for me.

I LOVE the calender theme of " Two Fingers Up To Cancer" and we are not all dead yet!

That is the early indication that I feel from reading the replies.

And yes, the so different thing from anything else that's been done before.

And I agree with Deb's, we don't all want our photo's on a calender ( that would be too easy) and we don't do easy do we? LOL

Thanks for everyone's input and idea's...............keep it comming.