Mum in Law diagnosed pancreatic cancer

1 minute read time.
My husbands mum was seen by general surgery consultant last Monday after previously having had ultrasound and body scan We were told there was a tumour on her pancreas and cluster showing on her liver - I understand that it is difficult to dianose in the early stages Unfortunately as was spread to liver was inoperable and the way forward was to have a biopsy to the liver to confirm consultants diagnosis - we went home in a daze Later in the afternoon - telephone call from nurse to arrange biopsy for next day - 9am Arrived admissions ward 8.30am and allocated bed At 1.30pm mum-in-law was transferred for procedure - I took father-in-law to find him some lunch At 3.30pm we went to ward 7 no mum, try ward 37 again no mum, told to wait in the day room about 4.30pm ward clerical staff came looking for us mum had been asking for us - we went to Angiplasy unit where mum was very upset as the nurses had been trying to find us for 2 hours At 5pm mum transferred to ward 37 as Angiplasy unit was closing As mum was not too well she was eventually told she ad to stay overnight - I got my father-in-law home at 8.30pm after 11 hours at the hospital We were all exhausted and mum really wanted to come home with us Mum is in a daze, as we all are, and dad cant understand why there are no drugs to kill the cancer We have been told today mum has an appointment with chemo consultant on Wednesday I have looked at the blogs, and forums and been on chatrooms twice - but seems that pancreatic cancer is not discussed very much - does any one have any advice on what to expect re chemo etc
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum has been readmitted to Oncology ward yesterday 17days after discharge from previous admission following her 1st chemo sessions

Yesterday I contacted Oncology Consultants secretary as I was concerned how I was going to get Mum to her appointment and next chemo session on 22nd June - she was somewhat concerned when I told her that Mum was still spending most of her time in bed sleeping - 5 weeks after chemo

She suggested that I should get the GP in to see Mum - this resulted in GP sending her back to Oncology has blood pressure was so low

Today we were told she was to have transfusion as red cell count was quite low

Mum is diabetic and her blood sugars are high so now on insulin pump to constantly supply insulin - or so we thought - during visiting she told me her bed sheet was wet on investigation the insulin pump canular was leaking - her bed was getting the insulin not Mum - that explains her high blood sugars

I am feeling so helpless - dont know whats going on - the hospital is treating Mum and for that I am grateful - but still feel helpless - they dont say whats what if you know what I mean

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum seems a bit better today - she had her blood topup yesterday and now have blood sugars under better control

Oncology was going to discharge Mum today but after I asked if it was 'normal' to be so sleepy 5 weeks after chemo and staying in bed - the doctor told me she was not aware of this - they then said she was to stay in another day

Still cannot get any info from doctors re Mums condition - what to expect - whats happening - how far progressed - etc.

Would just like to know if this is as expected and how to continue down this very rocky road

Not knowing is so frustrating - dont know how to deal with this - how to help Mum

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum seemed a bit brighter yesterday - still in hospital - they are now assessing her mobility etc.

Seems we may get some help in the mornings to help mum get washed and dressed -  that will be a bonus - as I havent managed to persuade her to get dressed for 6 weeks - she didnt feel up to it

Fingers crossed we may get a better few weeks

Christine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i shall keep my fingers crossed too for you xNx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Normally

When we got to hospital today I didnt think Mum looked so good

When she woke up she tells me had no drips today even tho drip there with half used glucose bag on it

Then she tells me drip leaked into her bed - she very confused

Yes she had had a drip as nurse found her at 6.20 am in a hypo (low blood sugars) from her diabetes they had to bring her round with hypostop and then a drip

Whilst there I thought she just didnt look right - so at 5.15 I asked her if blood sugars had been checked pm she didnt think so - we asked a nurse to do it and that was that - so I got mums own kit out and did it for her 3.4 very low - luckily tea arrived early so she had something to eat and felt better

I felt very low after leaving her - she just seems so lost - and I cant help her - yes I can do things for her - but I cant help her

Thanks for listening

Christine