Finding the "New Normal"

• Valentine's Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

How were Laing and I know to know that when he arrived at the same digs as myself on Saturday 14th February 1976 that we would have made an unwritten and unspoken commitment to each other "to have and to hold from this day forward; for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part"?

As the anniversary of our meeting gets closer (it's not…

• Today is Laing’s 58th Birthday

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I celebrated the event of Laing’s 58th birthday with Dorothy, his long time colleague and friend. We went to the Oxo Tower where I chose a wine that was hideously expensive (don’t ask) but was perfect for the food we had.

We both flirted outrageously with the waiter and Dorothy was even worse with the sommelier. As ever the food was wonderful, the wine was excellent, the service was better than I remember…

• Saturday 19 January 2013

FormerMember
    FormerMember

As I advised for the previous day’s blog, “forgive me if some of what I write appears a bit all over the place. It matches my emotions at the time. Also what follows you may find uncomfortable, disturbing or harrowing. As this is an honest account, I apologise in advance for those of you who can stomach the tale.” This still holds good. 

After precious little sleep I woke up. I was still furious at…

• Friday 18 January 2013

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Friday leads into Saturday, so forgive me if some of what I write appears a bit all over the place. It matches my emotions at the time. Also what follows you may find uncomfortable, disturbing or harrowing. As this is an honest account, I apologise in advance for those of you who can stomach the tale.

I can’t remember if I made an appointment on Thursday or Friday for Laing and I to see the doctor. I also asked for…

• Thursday 17 January 2013

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Laing’s appointment with the radiologist wasn’t until the early afternoon. We took our time getting ready. Now remember he hadn’t been out and mobile since Tuesday, so I wasn’t prepared for the old man who could barely walk more than 50 metres without stopping to catch breath and rest. Somehow or other we got to the hospital in plenty good time. As he walked from the bus he and I had the same idea, but he suggested it…