Producing a book. Contributors welcome

2 minute read time.

I watched my grandmother, the most special person in my life, die of cancer 7 years ago. The grief never goes away totally, but I've learned to live with it. Last August (2009) my partner was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and we haven't yet started having children of our own.

I'm so proud of him, he's researched thoroughly for months, has tried some very strange diets, one of them including very hot chilli peppers and garlic every day for breakfast, colourful drinks that I wouldn't dare taste, and he's been focussed on meditating, exercise and now has just been through a 2 month intensive ayveretic treatment in Sri Lanka. He comes home in 2 days, and we'll see what his PSA levels are next week.

This is the first time I've actually began to really think about it in terms of how I really feel. Since finding out last year, I've been very matter of fact and kept it at distance. The thought of seeing him go through what I saw my grandmother go through terrifies me.

But I'm only now just beginning to address how I feel about it, and yes, absolutely we still have much hope.  We've been lucky that he's had some time to try alternative ways before opting for an operation. He's been more open and accepting of the reality of it more than I, and he tells me that his perceptions about life have definitely changed... I look forward to hearing more when he comes home on Tuesday.

I'm also challenging my own thoughts and attitudes towards the subject of death and dying - and as I keep thinking about it, strangely enough, I feel like I'm facing my greatest fear. Of course I hate the thought of my partner getting ill, and losing him, which is why I probably haven't allowed myself to really feel anything about his diagnosis. Instead, I've been researching our western attitudes towards death and dying, even though it still feels a bit like a taboo subject, I think people are beginning to be more open about it now.

So I've decided to take on a project - to produce a photographic book about death and dying (with accompanying text) - to not only help myself come to terms with it, but maybe it will help others too. I'm finishing my masters degree in photojournalism so I'm dedicating the next 4 months to this project (up to Sept 2010). If anyone wants to join me in this journey, and hopefully provide support to each other, or if you just want to know more, then feel free to get in touch (via Private Messages).

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

death and dying....

i dont think what i think can help...

but to me life is we are born. we live , then we die..

we cant do anything to stop us dying someday...

if i die i die it doesnt worry me....pointless worrying as it wont change anything...

BUT, for those left behind its worse ..or i think so...

more worried about loved ones then i am about myself....im sure other patients feel the same way...

i even think if things did get to bad for me id do something about it myself..i thought that long before i got diagnosed with nhl...

everyone is different i guess..i dont believe in any gods or an after life etc..but i knew someone off this site who did and i can say he was sooo not scared of dying...as far as he was concerned he was going to heaven ...im sure that soo helped him during his illness and his last days in the hospice...

i even spent 13 months thinking how id rather die then go inside a hospital......stupid i know...pathetic even...only i never thought i would / could ever go inside a hospital even when told i ` could ` have a life threatening illness.. crazy but true...

dying...i worry much more about those loved ones left behind IF  the worst was to happen...

all the best and im sure youl get better replies then mine...

:-)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Graeme, thank you for sharing your thoughts, they are actually really valuable, and I'll certainly be adding some of the points you made to the research for the book.

Thinking about how you'd rather die than going into a hospital is very valid - if you were in that situation, do you think that you have a choice?

Warm regards, Julie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jenni, thank you for your post. I hope you and your children are receiving all the support you need right now, and somehow coping with the grief. It is a beautiful picture of them on your homepage. I'll be in touch, Julie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Vee, I'll contact you via private message. Julie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julie

I lost my husband aged 37 years old on 13th April this year and am struggling to get rid of the bad memories of what happened near the end.

The only thing that seems to help is getting involved in fundraising or talking to people who have gone through the same thing so I'm willing to help with this if I can.

You can email me any questions etc at slancs24@hotmail.com

Regards

Sarah x