The cruel hand of fate

1 minute read time.

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, well in fact  just 5 long whole days ago.  I am not sure how I am feeling as it is all still quite surreal i am numb. I think i may have lost touch with reality or in total denial.......................

Before i know it i will be going through a mastectomy in the next  two weeks, i want the slice and dice to be over, i want the chemo now! I want to cry, shout scream and ask the question we probably all do initially WHY.

My family are wonderful but are strugg.ling to come to terms with it and what is ahead, my work colleagues are the best but how can they ever understand. 

I have developed several masks, my work mask is happy go lucky Jules, bring it on I can do this its only CANCER, I am indestructable....................... my home mask is one of lets all be normal and carry on where we left off before the fateful results day I am invincable.............................my private mask is o god where do i go from here,o god what will happen, o god how will i get through and it cries quite often.

My MRI scan is next week just to confirm that i have two unwelcome visitors in my breast, they are grade 2 invasive lobular tumors (wow dont i sound so medical) I know I have to be positive but it is so so hard, today is a mediocre day yesterday was a bad day and tomorrow, well its not here yet and who knows what that will bring. I think the cruel hand of fate has already played its part for now.

Anonymous
  • Oh sweetheart, what is happening to you is horrible, so no wonder you're all over the place. Although I didn't have a mastectomy, my boob was just mangled but the whole experience is scarey. What I can say is I've met so many BC survivors who have kicked it in the butt and are now content and back in control. You can do it too!

Best wishes,

KateG

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jules, I am currently3 years +5 months post-treatment for a different type of Cancer,(Nasopharyngeal,back of he nose) Your feelings are identical to the way I felt back then,when I was first diagnosed,bless you! I'm sure that everyone on this site have felt the same way too so you will get the support that you need in Macland!

You are going through a natural grieving process right now, however Jules, out of this grief will come an inner strength which will carry you through this unexpected journey!!

You do not have to wear a mask on here!

Big hugs,  Alison. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Just wanted to say that 12 months ago I was just where you are now but 12 months on I am right back where I was before it all started.

I too had a mastectomy, chemo, and RT. I am still having Herceptin and on Tamoxifen for 5 years.

I have been back at work since December but it's only the last month or so that I have truly felt better, not so tired anymore, just the same as everyone else lol.

It's a very scarey time that you're going through right now with lots of uncertainty and worry of the unknown but I promise you that you will come out the other side and be ok again. It's ok to feel scared, we all have at some stage but the warm and wonderful people on this site will help you through it if you let them. I know that's what they did for me and I can never thank them enough for it. Because of cancer I have have met some extraordinary human beings that I would never have met otherwise.

Wishing you love and strength

Max xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi hun

well what more can i say when i was first diagnosed i walked out the oncs office and said to my two children and my boyfriend right im starving and ended up in the indian restaurant for lunch no body mentioned my "NEWS" and you know thats how ive looked at my journey no point in sitting here crying did loads of that on my own in my little toilet my kids thought id a bladder infection suddenly lol!!!...nobody says itl be a walk in the park because it isnt but my attitude is hell no how dare cancer invade my body i have no place in my life for it so girl do your crying cos you need to then pick yourself up and get on with your treatment you will have highs and lows but be assured on this site you will have the best people ever to help and support you on your journey without them i dont know where id have got the strength some days when ive been so low on my chemo or just to be able to ask questions or just have a good old why me moment they are always there take care hun and you will find the strength to beat this...... always here when you need us love and hugs jen xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, you will always remember the day you are given the news about cancer. You are stronger than you think and you will fight it, we will all help you. I was diagnosed Jan 2010, it was the biggest shock ever as i felt fine but just found a very small lump. Masectomy, lymph node removal, chemo, rt, reconstruction have now all been done and i am now booked up for risk reducing masectomy to other side on 18th July. If i can do it so can you, you will get there for the sake of your loved ones and love of life. We are here for the lows as we all get them and only we can understand.

Take care love Kaz x