Unreasonably upset when Medics call me "his girlfriend"!

1 minute read time.

Why does this happen? Probably because I am 45 and my beloved partner P is 54. We have been together for a wonderful 25 years and never married because we didn't think we could love each other any more if we had a licence. It never bothered me before, not being married, I would just introduce P as my partner. Yet now in hospitals when I am with him, nurses, Docs as they draw the curtains round the bed, look at me and say "Are you his wife?" and I say no and feel like they think I'm shouldn't be there but a wife should. The other day waiting for the consultant a nice lady sitting opposite said "Are you his girlfriend?" and made me feel about 12 years old. I said "Yes, but we've been together 25 years" I feel like I have to justify it somehow. Not their fault of course, I am not his wife and that is our choice.

On a more sinister note, of course legally/medically I am not his next of kin, though I think in hosp he put me down as that, but I'm not sure what weight it carries.

Sorry, this has come out a bit like a rant, and as I say, my choice, but wonder if any one else has experienced this sudden inadequacy in the face of cancer?

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hope

Just to add my support for you sorting out the power of attorney thing. My Mum and Dad (step-father) have been together 37 years without marrying, never felt the need, but recent events with his Mother and the death of his stepfather high-lighted their vulnerability in terms of the law and made them put things in order. Annoying that it is that without a licence, like you, they made there relationship last it comes to nothing legally. I'm sure you will sort things out.

Best Wishes with 'P' s treatment

Maxine

P.S. My Mum is nearly 70 and still gets referred to by some as his 'girlfriend' which she hates!