Things can only get better, and if that's not true I don't want to hear about it

2 minute read time.

Lord, I thought having a panic attack in a Portakabin was bad enough. Things have been even more exciting since then, with another panic attack taking me to the out-of-hours clinic in Cowley Road; the next day, Bank Holiday Sunday, we went to five chemists and took four hours to get the drugs the doctor there prescribed. Actually, all we could get was a reasonable facsimile thereof, but the pharmacist at Woodstock Road chemist should get a medal for services above and beyond; he went to unheard-of efforts. On Tuesday evening I had massive stomach pains and Judy took me to A&E. I can't tell you much about that, as they gave me morphine, but I have a distant impression of many people running around and being terribly helpful and efficient. So far, so good, but it all went wobbly when I got transferred to the Churchill; the only bed they could find me was on the colorectal ward, and the nurses didn't know what to do with me. They put me on nil by mouth and didn't let me have my drugs. Unsurprisingly, I had another major panic attack the next morning and had to sign myself out without having a drain. In retrospect, a very stupid thing to have done, but, at the time, the only option I could tolerate.

I have a lot of people pulling for me - the gynae-obs Macmillan nurses, the people at the Sobell House Hospice, my own doctor - but sometimes I think that just one person doing the right thing would be preferable. Especially as they will keep changing my medication. "What're you on? Yeah, that's good, but THIS might be better, try that instead!" We're thinking of asking the pharmacy for a frequent flyer discount (yes, I get my drugs free anyway, but it's the principle of the thing). And on Friday we got a phone call to tell me I was in hospital having a drain. I wasn't. I might have been if anyone had told me I should be ...

Good news: current batch of painkillers and tranks are working quite well, which is good, as I'm in bloody agony. I think that the ascites has pushed up into my chest cavity again: my breathing's not too bad, but the pain, front and back, means I can't ever get comfortable, I'm constantly being sick, and I can't eat. Which may be as well, given the circumstances.

I have an appointment with the oncologist on Monday morning, and, I believe, a bed booked for a drain (I'll believe it when I see it) directly after. I expect to be on the ward overnight, which will, again, be entertaining, as I'm supposed to start chemo on Tuesday. Anyway: my brother is coming with us for extra reinforcement - I am a liberated, capable, intelligent women, or I am when I am not stoned out of my mind and in pain all the time, and Judy is a liberated, intelligent woman WITH A FREAKING DOCTORATE,  but even so, when we talk we find people looking behind us for the grown-up (gggggrrrrrr, incidentally) - so I hope things will get more bearable soon.

In amongst all this, the ShadowCat was, on Friday evening, seen to have a huge wound on his bum, and had to be snagged when he came in on Saturday morning (no, he is not allowed to be outdoors overnight) and swept off to the vet to be treated.

Did I mention that yesterday was Judy's birthday? Quite possibly the worst birthday ever no?

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tim, you are a very naughty boy, but you did make me snigger!

Hilary, all the love and hugs for tomorrow and will look out for fat fingered updates...

Shadowcat is notorious ofr staying out and then coming back in after you are all beside yourselves with worry as if nothing has happened. I am sure he is doing the same this time, so please don't worry about him and concentrate on getting yourself in better shape.

Please don't excuse yourself from there until they have got the pain and sickness under control and you have at least fortisips in hand and preferably proper food (though if your hospital is anything like mine, proper food probably doesn't exist there)

Biggest hugest hugs- as you know I am back at skool tomorrow so may not be able to get to my phone or FB or here for a bit but I will be willing you along, all along the way and next time you feel scared or panicked, remember there is a LM in a little red dress sat behind you scowling at the panic monsters and shooing them off, so no need to be scared ok?

Little My xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Masses of luck for tomorrow and keep breathing and try and relax and just go along with the ride. Just try not to get off it too early, it would be a long walk to the finish xxxxxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good luck for tomorrow Hilary!

Sounds more like the three Muskateers, all for one and one for all, and in your case tomorrow, three will not be a crowd!

I hope tomorrow will be the first day of a less painfull time for you, you certainly seem to have been having a rough time of it lately.

Take care.

Respect

xxxx

• Three is a most excellent number and you will be on the right ward this time, and Judy and your brother are not to leave until they can see you wired up to the correct drugz and the fortisips will help - when I was on morphine and couldn't eat, the ones mixed with icecream helped immensely - and get bruv to talk to staff and smile whilst demanding that everything is in place :))

I wish you pain-free days and nights and send huge cwtchs and lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow, Hils. And if they don't fix you up right this time, there is 5ft 9in of me plus muscles and I'll come and sort them out for you. Hugs (not the bit muscly ones, mind...). XXXXXXX