Things can only get better, and if that's not true I don't want to hear about it

2 minute read time.

Lord, I thought having a panic attack in a Portakabin was bad enough. Things have been even more exciting since then, with another panic attack taking me to the out-of-hours clinic in Cowley Road; the next day, Bank Holiday Sunday, we went to five chemists and took four hours to get the drugs the doctor there prescribed. Actually, all we could get was a reasonable facsimile thereof, but the pharmacist at Woodstock Road chemist should get a medal for services above and beyond; he went to unheard-of efforts. On Tuesday evening I had massive stomach pains and Judy took me to A&E. I can't tell you much about that, as they gave me morphine, but I have a distant impression of many people running around and being terribly helpful and efficient. So far, so good, but it all went wobbly when I got transferred to the Churchill; the only bed they could find me was on the colorectal ward, and the nurses didn't know what to do with me. They put me on nil by mouth and didn't let me have my drugs. Unsurprisingly, I had another major panic attack the next morning and had to sign myself out without having a drain. In retrospect, a very stupid thing to have done, but, at the time, the only option I could tolerate.

I have a lot of people pulling for me - the gynae-obs Macmillan nurses, the people at the Sobell House Hospice, my own doctor - but sometimes I think that just one person doing the right thing would be preferable. Especially as they will keep changing my medication. "What're you on? Yeah, that's good, but THIS might be better, try that instead!" We're thinking of asking the pharmacy for a frequent flyer discount (yes, I get my drugs free anyway, but it's the principle of the thing). And on Friday we got a phone call to tell me I was in hospital having a drain. I wasn't. I might have been if anyone had told me I should be ...

Good news: current batch of painkillers and tranks are working quite well, which is good, as I'm in bloody agony. I think that the ascites has pushed up into my chest cavity again: my breathing's not too bad, but the pain, front and back, means I can't ever get comfortable, I'm constantly being sick, and I can't eat. Which may be as well, given the circumstances.

I have an appointment with the oncologist on Monday morning, and, I believe, a bed booked for a drain (I'll believe it when I see it) directly after. I expect to be on the ward overnight, which will, again, be entertaining, as I'm supposed to start chemo on Tuesday. Anyway: my brother is coming with us for extra reinforcement - I am a liberated, capable, intelligent women, or I am when I am not stoned out of my mind and in pain all the time, and Judy is a liberated, intelligent woman WITH A FREAKING DOCTORATE,  but even so, when we talk we find people looking behind us for the grown-up (gggggrrrrrr, incidentally) - so I hope things will get more bearable soon.

In amongst all this, the ShadowCat was, on Friday evening, seen to have a huge wound on his bum, and had to be snagged when he came in on Saturday morning (no, he is not allowed to be outdoors overnight) and swept off to the vet to be treated.

Did I mention that yesterday was Judy's birthday? Quite possibly the worst birthday ever no?

Anonymous
  • Hi Hilary as you say you are that liberated,intelligent caperble woman but being so ill makes people vulnerable and scared so we put our trust in professionals believing they know best and kind of put ourselves in their hands and sigh with resignation when things chop and change to weary to put up a fight.Annie is right enough of pushing that rock up the hill and I think taking your brother along as well as Judy will Hopefully make them listen and stop messing you about.Every Doctor seems to have a favourite medication and all this chopping and changing isn't doing any good.If you feel something works for you or helps you then they need to leave bloody well alone you are the one who knows if it's right for you so whilst you have the magic number of three stick to your guns.They should not leave you without your regular medication especially if your on Valium and morphine leaving you to suffer more distress.I hope the drain gives you some relief and that chemo does its job.It would be something if all the professionals got together and chose one person to take the lead and co ordinate your care rather than this fragmented approach but I guess that's asking a bit much.I too am venting because I can't believe how you have been treated but then again yes I can.Well done that pharmacist for being so helpful.The very best of luck tomorrow and I'm so sorry Judys birthday was so awful you both deserved better.Good to hear shadow cat has been put back together.Huge hugs to both you and Judy to the norty step with Shadow cat for getting his ass bit at a time when you and Judy could have done without any more but if I see him on the step I am just as liable to feed him chicken xxxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hilary, what a palaver but I'm glad you've got reinforcements with your brother. Three is my lucky number (it's why I've got three replacement knees) and I'm sending that luck over to you so that you not only kick cancer's arse, but the arse of that doctor as well.

Good luck for tomorrow; if you need more reinforcements Cruton will be ready with the bin (She can drive a bit now - did you know?) and we'll all come down in force to help get you the treatment you deserve.

Huge but very gentle hugs.

Odin xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS Sorry about Judy's Birthday and I hope you will soon feel well enough to celebrate it in style.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Hilary, you really have gone through too much now for them to mess you about any longer and I really hope that tomorrow's appointment with the oncologist gets something moving. So maybe with your brother's extra backing they will find that bed for you and get started with the treatments in order to kick Mr. Crab out !

Yes, I am sorry that Judy's birthday was messed up ....... and poor ShadowCat got a bitten bum, but I guess that we have all had special days upset by damned cancer. Sending you and Judy hugs - and a tickle under the chin for ShadowCat.

Love, Joycee xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

*hugs* to all, and thank you. Really ridiculous amount of pain, can't eat, and keep throwing up. All makes it a bit hard to be the life & soul of the party. Plus Shadow hasn't come indoors since he came back from the vet yesterday. *sigh*

I'll update Facebook via Twitter, assuming I do get a hospital bed, but only with v short messages, my little fat fingers have trouble with phone keyboards.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hils,

When I was not in the colo-rectal ward after my reversal I was feeling uneasy, when I finally got there cos of the "mistake" I felt relieved to see the nurses I knew. We just need to be in the right place don't we, and so did / do you.

I really struggle with cats, we have one (10 yrs old) and I still have no idea what she wants and when she wants something, and then all of a sudden she sits on my lap after ignoring me for days. Hope Shadow does pop back in soon.

Belated Happy Birthday to Judy.

Good luck in hospital, and I sincerely hope the pain and sickness is all sorted out ASAP. I've been out to the garden shed and rubbed my lucky rod for you (fishing rod that is) and I hope it works for you.

Tight lines

Tim xxx