The drugs don't work

1 minute read time.

We saw the consultant (or a consultant, at least, I don't think I'd ever seen her before) today. Eventually. There was an hour's wait first. Of course there was.

Was it worth the wait? Well, she told me that last week's CT scan showed no improvement in the abdominal growths and, in fact, it showed up a new one (or an established one that'd grown; Judy and I heard different things) on the pelvis, from which I think we can take it that the current course of chemo isn't working. I'm going to have another three-week course of one dose of poxytaxel per week, starting today, and then I presume they'll try something else. At least, I hope they will. There isn't really a lot of point, but I suppose they have to at least look as if they're trying.

The consultant also wanted me to have a blood transfusion; that's scheduled for tomorrow. I also have to have yet another ascitic drain, which should be in the next couple of weeks, assuming the Churchill doesn't fk it up. About as welcome as a cup of cold sick, that one, it is hurty hurty HURTY, but it has to be done before I go POP and die fast and messily instead of slowly and drearily.

So no. Not really worth the wait at all. Next time I am going to demand to see the alternate universe consultant, the one who sings her diagnoses in Disney songs ("The pharmaceutical industry thanks her/Its profit margins depend on cancer") and scatters pixie dust far and wide.

That will be far more satisfactory.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

dear hillary, really really sorry that your feeling so sh@@e, you have every reason to, you certainly have  been thru the mill !,  is your hospital really that thoughtless that they can't "see" your pain, thought pain control was something so strongly advocated for everyone,? i really feel frustrated for you,

sending you gentle hugs and lots of good wishes

love kaitie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's all a load of bowlocks & all I can do is tut-tut as old ladies do & say hang in there, & wait for you to say Whaddya mean, I gotta choice?

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I do get tired of it. But, I still ought to be thankful that I'm not nearly as badly off as a lot of people on the Mac site. I just don't want to get worse if it can be prevented ...

xxx