The drugs don't work

1 minute read time.

We saw the consultant (or a consultant, at least, I don't think I'd ever seen her before) today. Eventually. There was an hour's wait first. Of course there was.

Was it worth the wait? Well, she told me that last week's CT scan showed no improvement in the abdominal growths and, in fact, it showed up a new one (or an established one that'd grown; Judy and I heard different things) on the pelvis, from which I think we can take it that the current course of chemo isn't working. I'm going to have another three-week course of one dose of poxytaxel per week, starting today, and then I presume they'll try something else. At least, I hope they will. There isn't really a lot of point, but I suppose they have to at least look as if they're trying.

The consultant also wanted me to have a blood transfusion; that's scheduled for tomorrow. I also have to have yet another ascitic drain, which should be in the next couple of weeks, assuming the Churchill doesn't fk it up. About as welcome as a cup of cold sick, that one, it is hurty hurty HURTY, but it has to be done before I go POP and die fast and messily instead of slowly and drearily.

So no. Not really worth the wait at all. Next time I am going to demand to see the alternate universe consultant, the one who sings her diagnoses in Disney songs ("The pharmaceutical industry thanks her/Its profit margins depend on cancer") and scatters pixie dust far and wide.

That will be far more satisfactory.

Anonymous
  • Hi Hilary can only echo all the above.It is way past time that you got some good news and a better standard of care.The way things have been going of late you would probably get a Disney Doctor who sings like that Anderson woman and a fairy who you would like to shove her wand up her ass sideways.So I HOPE that you get a treatment that will blast that bastard crab to buggery and beyond.I hope that the transfusion helps and they give you something to make the drain less hurty.Im with Clare I send you all the love,hope and hugs I can muster and I wish I could do something more helpful.Cruton xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Big hugs xxx

We always had an average of an hours wait too, why do they do that to us????  Also the room was always littered with 'cancer' posters which was a shock before we got the big C diagnosis....

Things have to turn around for you, you are strong and you are doing so very well.  Stupid cancer.

Thinking of you xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Hilary, there's not much that I can add either ..... other than it's about time your luck changed and they find the right drug to kill Mr Crab for once and for all. The ascitic drain sounds horrible and I wonder if Roto-Rooter could perhaps be more gentle on you ? Definitely ask for some strong painkillers !

So I am wishing that today's blood transfusion is filled with cancer-busting plasma or whatever it is and kicks that unwanted Crab out. Thinking of you today ......

Love 'n hugs, Joycee xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hilary so sorry to hear you current treatment has not shrunk the cancer as hoped. I sincerely hope the next course of chemo does the trick.I also hope the Churchill gets its act together this month when Mum gets her hysterectomy, part bowel removale and huge cysts out in 6 hr op.! My thoughts are with you Paula xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, everyone! I was a bit upset when I wrote this blog. Less so now. It's only fair to say that Judy seems to have heard an entirely story to the one I heard and thinks there's nothing to worry about. I'm unconvinced.

I've had the blood transfusion now, and am waiting for it to kick in and make me all lively and frivolous. That might be a bit of a tall order though, probably the best we can hope for is for me to remain upright for more than an hour or so at a time. No word on the drain, but I hope I'll hear something next week.

Paula, as long as your mother actually gets her operation - I hope she will, but god, they do like to keep you waiting, and I was once on the ward with a lady who hadn't, because the op before hers had run over - she should be fine. If they put her on the Jane Ashleigh ward to recover, that's pretty nice (as hospital wards go), and the nurses are great. I'm not so keen on the chemo ward, which is where I usually end up these days, but it's still okay. Best of luck to her and to you!

xxx