My dilemma

1 minute read time.

Hi... I am new to this and have always shied away from support groups in the past but I thought I would try something new.

My biography contains details of my diagnosis of secondary breast cancer.  Where I am at the moment is trying to decide whether to start what would be my 5th type of chemotherapy despite my oncologist saying it would have a slim chance of working.  I have also had 2 applications to the Interim Cancer Drugs Funds refused for the drug Lapatinib.

I am feeling relatively well at the moment.  My gut reaction is to refuse the chemo as I cannot stand the thought of PICC lines again, possible side effects of the chemo and the constant fear of infection due to low blood count.  After all - I have been there many times before.  But there is always the niggling doubt - what if this is the one that works despite what my oncologist thinks.  However the extra weeks that the chemo may give me may be ruinied by the side effects of chemo.

I am consumed by the feelings and thoughts of my family who understand my reasons but I know think that maybe I should give it a shot - after all I probably would think the same if it was them and want them to do anything to live a bit longer.

Anyone in a similar position or who can give some words of wisdom...

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mate

No one but you can find the answer - and never had any wisdom to share - Mine was advanced when I got the DX - too late for radio or chemo to be effective I was told - but I got to a good place and thought I had all the answers - live the day, have no regrets - no one is guaranteed a tomorrow.

Just been shocked into fighting back - It is my Body I will take control - no longer happy to be complacent or hand my life to others - may not win in the long run but no one can say I did not go down fighting. So mate your choice or  want to borrow my tape measure  - the oak one looks good honest - matches my colouring fight or run ?? xx

Love and Hugs - life can be crap - but beats the alternative hands down !

J xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My oncologist always says I can't cure you, but I can give you improved quality of life... I'm now on my 5th different drug for ovarian cancer, but as yet have managed to keep it contained, so quality of life is important.  I'd seen my children married, but now my grandchildren are getting older, and hopefully they will have lovely memories of me when I'm gone.  The oldest goes to secondary school in Sept, and the youngest goes to Junior school, which I never thought I'd see.  Keep postitive and take each day as a bonus,  when the time is right I'm sure it will not need discussing, just happen (I hope!).

Good luck

love n hugs

Viv

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My thoughts have always been, if there's a chance, however small, you have to take it.

That's only my thought though, I realise that a lot of people would rather have quality of life over quantity.

What I would say, why don't you try the chemo. You can always decide to stop it any time you choose. If you find it's getting too much without any success you can always decide to put a stop to it.

Who knows, it might have great results. I wish you all the very best in whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you to everyone that took the time to read my ramblings.  Have made my decision not to have another chemo with such a slim chance of it working.  My oncolgist summarised it perfectly when I spoke with her - gut reactions are usually the best ones and the ones to go with.  It has always been about quality of life at this stage -  and if I am worrying everyday and housebound - in m mind that is not 'living with cancer' it is letting it beat you.

Feeling better now that I have made the decision and am getting on with it.  Am still holding out for my application to the Cancer Drugs Fund for Lapatinib being overturned.