jokes - is this the right place?

Less than one minute read time.
I'm sure I'll get 'flamed' for this, but here goes... Although some of the jokes are slightly amusing, I was under the impression that this was a 'Cancer Community' , where sufferers and carers can find information and support from others during an extremely distressing and worrying time? For jokes, there are 69 million references on google...
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Jokes are great aint they, No one loves a joke more than I do, but they must be in the right place. I go onto the chat fairly often and I find that  " the regulars" are often in the middle of there own jokes that they miss the newbie entering the room, and the newbie ,because they can see that people are joking and laughing ,  immediately leave. Perhaps the regulars should move to a seperate room and only go onto general chat when they are in the mood to talk serious! Dont get me wrong, I am one of the biggest offenders of laughing and joking, but I think the time as come , especially with the vast increase members, for us old hands to show more consideration to new people! Just my thought, no offence to any body intended, Keep smiling , Geoff

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think Debs' suggestion the other week of "flagging" the jokes with the prefix JOKE was a good one and has worked very well. You now what they are and are free to read or avoid. I read some of them, sometimes and generally they make me laugh, and laughing is good, some have made me cry - with laughter. Everyone uses this site for lots of different reasons, maybe a JOKE tab will work and is the answer. It has been established by the comments here that people want the jokes and need what they achieve, that is to laugh out loud, a good medicine for anyone, be they a cancer sufferer, carer, friend, family member etc. "You can't please all the people, all of the time" - appears to be the scenario.

I am sure a solution will be found, for those that contribute the jokes, thank you, keep them coming, wherever they may be posted has yet to be determined but please don't stop. I am sure it helps you to help others and that it does.

Have a good day.

Lynne xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Never thought I would be agreeing you mate (just JOKING) its happened a lot lately, especially in the evening - gets very busy in there and lots of us have made good friends and talk like old pals - could come across as a bit "cliquey"....is that the right word.

Although, lots of new people have come in and say what a relief it was that we were not all doom and gloom and that the black humour and larking around made them feel better, it could definately be intimidating and offputting also.

We are all just to lazy to open a room I guess, but now you've said that - I will defo open a room for regs and I'll probably sit on me larry lonesome LOL but I expect to see Lanz popping in ;)

<strong>The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. </strong>

E E Cummings

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I totally agree with you, whilst some may find some light relief in reading all these jokes they seem to be appearing every day.  Perhaps there could be a link where people can share their jokes so that those who want to read them can and those that don't don't have to see them.  I do tend to find it upsetting sometimes seeing all those jokes when my husband is fighting for his life with terminal cancer.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's not good to have to join this site. And one's first impressions are important. I know quite a few people who write to me via the private message service who find it very difficult to hold their head up above the barricade to explain how the feel, ask a question or just join in with the community.

But let's face it. We all need to take different things from this community at different times. One day we just want to cry and the thought of jokes is the furthest from our needs. Then another day a good joke is just what the doctor ordered.

Another thing to remember is that the blogs on here are mostly not blogs but questions or just a quick "message board" update on progress. And I think that the combination of the longer, often daily, blogs sit very well with the short updates/questions and I don't have a problem with the mix of things within the different forums and group pages.

So lets keep it all in here. Keep the jokes coming but lets put them on their own tab so they're there when we need them!

A xxx