jokes - is this the right place?

Less than one minute read time.
I'm sure I'll get 'flamed' for this, but here goes... Although some of the jokes are slightly amusing, I was under the impression that this was a 'Cancer Community' , where sufferers and carers can find information and support from others during an extremely distressing and worrying time? For jokes, there are 69 million references on google...
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks to my unwanted condition, I now find I have all day, every day  to do nothing better than cut n paste jokes that I  might find all over the web into here. when I get tired of this I could move onto politics, religion or 'celebrity' news. then there's gadgets, computing, current affairs... etc. etc. in fact anything except this damned disease....

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

One or two jokes in evidence every day is fine, but barriers of the things put even me off when I'm not feeling too happy. No, I don't read them, and I agree that they should be in a joke section which we can browse and enjoy when we're feeling up to it. I think it's important and good to have the jokes, but not a home page which is sometimes practically only jokes.

Renee, I agree with you that laughter is a good medicine, but 1) not everyone finds jokes funny (me, for instance, unless they are very, very good)

2) if you want to read jokes you can go to the joke section and enjoy yourself to the full - what about having a 'joke of the day' for ONE joke on the home page and all the others in the relevant section? And a link so you can get there quickly?

Pat xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Why does humour have to go 'undercover' ??

Shezbert I don't perceive you to be an 'offender' just a contributor to lighten our sometimes rather morose lives!!

How's about a sort of poll to see what the majority think>> don't know if one can do that sort of thing on here.

I've hesitated to say this but I'll say it now anyway.  When I first came here I felt very put off by the words directly under our "Welcome back" greeting which reads something like "get straight to the good stuff" - and I used to think what the hell is 'good' for anyone on here.  Now I have discovered it's a sprinkling of humour that attracts me  -  so I look at the jokes etc  -  then I go to what I consider is 'the rough stuff' - and no doubt you all know what I mean about that.

Surely sadness and sometime misery can be leavened by some humour??

My opinion anyway!!  And I do respect the opinions of others.

Regards to all,

Renée

Edited for spelling error!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It wasn't long ago that I asked people to label the jokes as such, so that folks who didn't want to read them didnt have to (there were a few that I thought "oh dear poor soul, only to read and find it was a joke)......but as much I like them (and I've posted a few, literally) the blogs get lost amongst them, a <strong>Joke tab </strong>sounds fab, good thinking Andrew.......and might keep everyone happy.

The jokes do make me smile and I would hate to lose them altogether, but a better filing system is sure to be out there......James & Thomas????

No flaming here, its all just a matter of opinion.

<strong>At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities</strong>

Jean Houston

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ok when looking for information are you really going to look at peoples Blogs!

A blog is a place for people putting theire own thoughts feelings etc, not nececarrily information.

I know for a fact that I never came near this page initially I went to the information area and the forums which are where you expect to find the stuff you need.

Now the inital things have settled down I come to look at the bloogs and especially on down times the jokes have stoped the tears and given me a lift.

OK cancer is a s**t disease but why should it win all the time and wring all the joy out of life.

Yes we all have different outlooks and for those who dont understand what blogs are all about maybe more 'old fashioned' information on how to navigate the site could be more prominently displayed but please dont take away the laughter from the lives of those of us who want and sometimes need it.

g