Doublethink and the Question of Blogs

1 minute read time.

With some trepidation, I am putting back my blogs.  This is the one that caused the little storm.  I have changed six words.  Here goes - I will hit the 'paste' button ... The others are coming back, slowly ...

I used to be be very cynical about blogs.  I used to wonder, who are these people who so badly need to find an audience that they start 'publishing' their random jottings on the Internet for strangers to read?  Surely it is all to do with vanity, with solipsism, self-aggrandizement and self-promotion.  It is the last resort for the failed writer:  it is part of a culture that reveals 'all' on the surface, but is lacking substance in the things that really matter.  Worst of all, blogs can be a daily version of the dreaded Christmas ‘round-robin.’

It had not occurred to me that blogging could be therapy.

Here is my thought for the day:

The point when I realized that I could not really function any more with my job was when I was trying to explain the concept of ‘doublethink’ to senior pupils – we were studying ‘Nineteen Eighty-Four.’ The only analogy I could come up with on the spur of the moment was that you can sometimes know, intellectually, that someone is going to die but also believe, absolutely and simultaneously, that they are not.  You can hold two contradictory concepts in your mind at the same time. (I wonder whether Orwell was thinking about this aspect of being terminally ill? He was dying himself.) Clearly, this was perhaps not the most useful concept for teenagers when I should have been looking for political analogies.  I did manage to finish the lesson – but only just.  

But death?  My husband defies death, shakes a metaphorical fist, and pulls up his very thin body, and goes on, as much as he can, as usual.  He is not suffering from doublethink.  He is suffering from denial, according to the GP.

And tomorrow, having had a set-back with PDT, I will be back on the phone to ask what on earth they are going to do now. 

Buzzie Of The Night.  (It doesn’t quite have it, does it?)

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh dear - l didn't mean to offend anyone, it is just that I have only really understood that there are many reasons why people write blogs, other than for the reasons I list at the beginning!  For me it is therapy because I can say some of things I might, in other circumstances, be saying to my husband and it is helping me work out some of the what we are experiencing.  So don't, for a minute, think it was directed at any of your blogs - they are moving, and inspiring.  

I was thinking of Belle de Jour and the likes - not you guys! Hence the reference to Buzzie of the Night!

Have a lovely day and I am glad the blog chimed with some of you.  

Lots of love, fellow bloggers and non-bloggers.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I wonder how Marydeb feels now , misunderstood, alone, devastated by her circumstances? Yes I know that what see said sounded awful , but I just wonder if it was because she is at the end of her tether? I, for one gave her the benefit of the doubt and sent her a message of comfort , I hope you dont read anything into that apart from " we are here to help each other "

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think it was just crossed-wires at a time when someone was feeling so low - she read the first part and didnt notice the

"It had not occurred to me that blogging could be therapy."

I didn't take any offence from it. Buzzie did nothing wrong and Marydeb really needs support right now.  Probably best admin removed the posts to avoid more misunderstanding. Well done Lanz, I think I will do the same.

Love & Strength people.

Debs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am horrified that I have made someone so angry that their post had to be removed.  Please send Marydeb my best, could you?  And explain.  xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

shows how different we all are...i am all for free speach and when some comments were posted on my blog by others some people got mad at the person who posted the comments....admin deleted some comments...i asked admin NOT to delete stuff off my blog because free speach rules...even if someone slags me off i dont mind....everyone is free to have there own opinions even if they are not the same as mine / ours...besides this is just the internet after all...if we dont like a blog we should just ignore it....i doubt if buzzie was even trying to upset anyone..infact im sure she wasnt....if your there marydeb just make your own thread and youl be fine on here...just watch out for fakes is the one advice i can give you......hugs...