Doublethink and the Question of Blogs

1 minute read time.

With some trepidation, I am putting back my blogs.  This is the one that caused the little storm.  I have changed six words.  Here goes - I will hit the 'paste' button ... The others are coming back, slowly ...

I used to be be very cynical about blogs.  I used to wonder, who are these people who so badly need to find an audience that they start 'publishing' their random jottings on the Internet for strangers to read?  Surely it is all to do with vanity, with solipsism, self-aggrandizement and self-promotion.  It is the last resort for the failed writer:  it is part of a culture that reveals 'all' on the surface, but is lacking substance in the things that really matter.  Worst of all, blogs can be a daily version of the dreaded Christmas ‘round-robin.’

It had not occurred to me that blogging could be therapy.

Here is my thought for the day:

The point when I realized that I could not really function any more with my job was when I was trying to explain the concept of ‘doublethink’ to senior pupils – we were studying ‘Nineteen Eighty-Four.’ The only analogy I could come up with on the spur of the moment was that you can sometimes know, intellectually, that someone is going to die but also believe, absolutely and simultaneously, that they are not.  You can hold two contradictory concepts in your mind at the same time. (I wonder whether Orwell was thinking about this aspect of being terminally ill? He was dying himself.) Clearly, this was perhaps not the most useful concept for teenagers when I should have been looking for political analogies.  I did manage to finish the lesson – but only just.  

But death?  My husband defies death, shakes a metaphorical fist, and pulls up his very thin body, and goes on, as much as he can, as usual.  He is not suffering from doublethink.  He is suffering from denial, according to the GP.

And tomorrow, having had a set-back with PDT, I will be back on the phone to ask what on earth they are going to do now. 

Buzzie Of The Night.  (It doesn’t quite have it, does it?)

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I blog often, more so when my husband is spending long periods of time in hospital. It helps keep me sane, makes me feel that there are other people out there feeling as down and miserable as I am get comfort from my virtual friends. There is no other reason.  Certainly not for the reasons you mention

Teri x

• I blog here and also on one for my friends.

It has become a diary for them to check how I am and where i am.

It saves so many phone calls from my family and friends and so that i dont have to repeat over how I feel.

Im facing being Terminally ill and so many people have contacted me so it helps me keep a brave face and be positive about all of this.

Even my own Doctor is reading my other blog.

So keep writing and sharing your thoughts it helps you to put everything in order.

Love and kisses Mavis

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

One of the best blog entries I've ever read on this site!

You might infer from a couple of the comments above (one extremely rude one) that you are not in keeping with the vogue of the times.  Never fear; the "one size fits all" dictum can be reworked in favour of blogsceptics too.

Wishing you and your husband strength and fortitude  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi all.

Just a quick note to say that I've removed a comment from this post. Unfortunately, I think this was just based on a misunderstanding.

It can be difficult to get the gist of what someone means when communicating by text, so before you post anything online, remember to take a moment to consider how your words could be interpreted.

For more on this, take a look at our guide to netiquette:

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../be-polite-follow-netiquette.aspx

Thanks

James

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I started the journal of my cancer journey for me to look back  on and or my family to have if I didn't make it.

The fact that I basically published my blog by accident after finding what now has been a bonus because of the support that I have been given and have been able to give others has been priceless.and I will continue to blog until my journey is complete. If my ramblings support or entertain then that has made it even mor worthwhile.

Keep smiling

love

Drew

X