The Bloody thing is back AML

1 minute read time.
Hiya All, I have some sad news I'm afraid and I feel absolutely gutted. My mums appointment was today and her blood tests have shown the bloody leukaemia is back. Well I knew it might come back one day, but to be honest I didn't think it would be so soon. The consultants are getting together within the next few days and they are going to decide what to do next. At first the doctor said it could be a matter of months rather than years that mum will live. But he still said they will treat her and try and get her in remission again. They won't give her a transplant as her age is against her (67), and they also think it's too risky. I know they do them in the USA for people older than mum. I feel so sick and poor mum was crying on the phone when I rung. She didn't want me to fly back home as I am away on hols, she wanted me to enjoy our holiday. Yeah right, I can't now. I know loads of people relapse and get back in remission, but the dreaded disease is so powerful it takes over. Strange thing with my mum is she feels perfectly alright, but the blood tests showed 18% of blasts in her blood, and her white cells were up and her neutraphils were a bit low. Her platelets were fine and she didn't need any blood. Anyone know what might happen next. Should mum have done all those things so soon after achieving remission since Jan 09 Belinda xx
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Quick update.

Mum's leukaemia was at 0.7% a week ago and is still low.

She contracted pneumonia and shingles a few weeks ago and the doctors thought she would only have a few weeks to live.

But she is still with us and doing well. She seems to have got over the pneumonia, and the shingles are fading slowly but surely.

Her neuts are at zero which they will be whilst taking the chemo tabs.

Fingers crossed that some other treatment will come up soon.

Binnie xx