The Bloody thing is back AML

1 minute read time.
Hiya All, I have some sad news I'm afraid and I feel absolutely gutted. My mums appointment was today and her blood tests have shown the bloody leukaemia is back. Well I knew it might come back one day, but to be honest I didn't think it would be so soon. The consultants are getting together within the next few days and they are going to decide what to do next. At first the doctor said it could be a matter of months rather than years that mum will live. But he still said they will treat her and try and get her in remission again. They won't give her a transplant as her age is against her (67), and they also think it's too risky. I know they do them in the USA for people older than mum. I feel so sick and poor mum was crying on the phone when I rung. She didn't want me to fly back home as I am away on hols, she wanted me to enjoy our holiday. Yeah right, I can't now. I know loads of people relapse and get back in remission, but the dreaded disease is so powerful it takes over. Strange thing with my mum is she feels perfectly alright, but the blood tests showed 18% of blasts in her blood, and her white cells were up and her neutraphils were a bit low. Her platelets were fine and she didn't need any blood. Anyone know what might happen next. Should mum have done all those things so soon after achieving remission since Jan 09 Belinda xx
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bins....

Know ur feeling dreadful... anxious.. scared for ur darling Mom.... but try and be as brave as u can, know how hard it is for u being abroad... i know how im gona feel in couple of weeks, wen i go to Spain, and leave my precious Dad....but like u sed bubs, u have ur hubby, just get as much comfort from him 4 now, until u see Mom on saturday or early sunday morning....

We all have  to believe we can fight this.... Be strong for Mom... she did it before, she can do it agen....

Njoy that sunshine, saturday will come soon.. i know the time must be dragging like mad now.... just hold tight Binnie....

BIG HUGS xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks all of you. I just read a bit of positive news. Someone wrote to me saying their father knows of people who relapse and get treated, then they go on for another 6 months or so, maybe relapse again and keep on going like this.

Hopefully mum can keep it at bay and the blasted thing goes away again for a long, long timee.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, Bit more news.

Dad has text me saying they were at Christies hopsital and have started mum on chemo tablets for now.

Not sure how this come about. Maybe dad rang the hospital as her original appointment was wed, or maybe the docs rung them.

I still don't know much, he is going to email me later as I am still on holiday abroad.

Binnie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well mum has been on Hydroxycarbamide tablets since Friday now as dad did ring the hospital and asked if they could check mum over as she had been sick on the thursday night.

The receptionist at Christies was telling dad to take mum to A&E or her doctors, but he said no, he wanted to take her to the hopsital where she is being treated.

Anyway they managed to get an appointment with the Top Man

He prescribed x2 500mg of these chemo tablets to be taken twice a day to try and control it.

If they work, then they will look at maybe giving her some more intensive chemo and a new cancer drug.

But we will have to wait and see first as she can't have any strong stuff as it's too early since the last lot.

Mum has another appointment tomorrow, so fingers crossed that all will be ok.

She is feeling ok,Just tired.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Update on mum.

Her blasts are at 33% now, but were at 30% friday, so they haven't jumped up much since then.

She hasn't been on the tablets long, so maybe they are taking their time to kick in. The doctor has upped the dosage to 3 times a day now.

The good news is that they could have come to a halt fingers crossed as last wed the blasts were 18%, then fri 30%.

They have only jumped up by 3% since, so maybe they will start going down again.

Fingers & toes crossed.