Windy problems after bowel surgery - help !

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hello

I am looking for advice and other's experiences following bowel surgery. 

My biggest problem is coping with excessive wind and being able to control it in public situations !!  7 weeks ago I had an anterior ressection to remove a 5cm tumour from my rectum.  I recovered well at home for 6 weeks and obviously because of the surgery my  bowel habbits have changed and I find I pass more wind and pass stool in small amounts but frequently throughout the day - and night !

I  have just gone back to work, but now realise that I was obviously quite "free and easy" with my wind at home, but now I am in the work environment, I am very conscious that I am having to "try" to keep the wind controlled and in and find myself rushing from my desk to the toilet which is down a flight of stairs!    Its only week 2 back at work and so far I have got away with it, but I am very very anxious that one day I am going to "let rip" !!

I've read that Charcoal tablets might help.  Has anyone had experience of these?

Suzie7

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Suzie

I had the same operation 3 months ago. I had a lot of wind initially too (especially before my first poo a week later), not sure if my wife really noticed the difference!

That doesn't seem quite so bad now. I am still going to the loo a lot, probably 8 times a day and also at night. One problem I find is that it is hard to tell if I need a fart or a poo so I have to go the loo just incase (especially at night)

I am hoping this is a short term problem but it has been 3 months now.

I haven't let rip at work (in the office anyway) yet but who cares, its only a fart.! but then I am a boy.

Better a fart from a living person than silence from a dead one.

Sounds like you are doing really well so keep positive about your recovery.

Best wishes

Peter

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Peter,

Yes is different for boys !!!  You are right though and I shouldn't  worry so much about it.  I think  integrating back into the normal workplace has made me feel that actually I am not normal, I have (or had) cancer - its early days ...

Suzie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Suzie

I too had the same problem as you after surgery, but it seems to have died down a bit now. I astounded myself, having not really had too much of a problem before, but trust me...I could have put most men to shame!

I found that Wind Eze capsules did the trick for me. Before I discovered them though, I was the same as you - trying to hold it in, and ending up with the most awful wind pains!

I haven't had any experience with charcoal tablets, so I can't help you with that, sorry 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Suki,

I have tried some charcoal tablets and despite the fact they turn your mouth black, they have eased the situation.  I had some pinnapple the other night and could feel things gurgling so took some of the tablets and things settled down very quickly - most impressed !!

I have also decided to take my own packed lunch to work with stuff I know doesnt set things off and go for a walk outside when I need to  - just like smokers take a "fag break " I will be taking a "wind break " !!!!

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Suzie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello,

If its any consolation it took me just over a year to settle down,I also spent a lot of time on the loo in the night.Now its generally 1 to 3 times a day and a lot less windy ,also I now eat just whatever I like.

Go easy on yourselves and take time to recover.

Best wishes ,

Minty.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had approximately 15 inches of my large intestine removed in 2017.  After surgery, I had horrible smells whenever I passed gas.  In 2020 I had an ear infection and my doctor prescribed AMOX-CLAV 875-125 MG Tablets, taken twice a day for 10 days.  After completing the antibiotics, my gas problems have been eliminated.