I'm hooked

2 minute read time.

In the pit of despair that was last week, the temple of peace at the bottom of my garden seemed as remote as the Himalayas. 

Then something odd happened last Sunday. I got up and something felt distinctly different but I couldn't put a finger on it. I had a shower and then it dawned on me; I felt well. Not only was I not in pain, I felt positively perky. Monday came and again, I felt, like me. I felt like me! I hadn't felt like this since last year. It was like waking up after an awfully long vivid nightmare. It didn't matter that it was raining or that my hair looked like a bird's nest, or even that I hadn't done the shopping. I had found hope. 

Hope is a wonderful thing. It makes the dark days easier to get through and has a way of tapping into stores of energy that you never knew you had. For the first time in months I did some gentle cleaning, what's more I actually enjoyed it (I think the skirting boards were singing in relief too). Even the persistent hole in my suture line isn't enough to bring down my mood. 

And the best thing of all? I can sleep again. Most nights I'm back to seven or eight hours. Absolute, unadulterated heaven. I don't want to put the mockers on it and say it's here to stay but while it's back I'm going to make the most of it and rot in bed. 

Next week I have appointments to discuss the whipping out of my ovaries and the whipping off of the boobs. I'm quite excited, to me they're an opportunity to start a new phase of life, one that will give me peace of mind. I know it'll be a couple of sessions under the knife but I'm looking over the rainbow. 

Here I fall down on my knees, I fear I must make a confession; I have turned to the dark side. I have forsaken my sewing for a crochet hook. Whilst on a sabbatical from the shed and browsing the internet from my pit on Sunday morning, in a moment of weakness I ordered some fabulous chunky yarn. The challenge of a cheerful crocodile blanket to huddle under during the cold winter months was too much of a temptation. In a few weeks' time, as soon as my blanket is finished, I'll put my mountaineering boots back on and head off to the temple in the garden. I've made some pressies already but with Christmas not that far away, the stock of bags needs replenishing. The next few months is going to be busy!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi David

Thank you :)

You are right I did have a rough patch and as usual I hid myself away for a while. Feeling better now though.

Can anybody be prepared for exactly how much the mental and physical toll of cancer is likely to take? Before we were diagnosed cancer is something that happened to other people, it was horrid to see them go through it but we didn't really understand. Now it's us it's up close and frightening, and very real. Like you I think I'm okay but then loose it unexpectedly. I think it's a perfectly normal way to deal with the stress that's caused by the bogeyman in our minds. Waiting for results is awful, it's no wonder you felt anxious. Just because the treatment has finished you're still recovering from a traumatic experience, be kind to yourself.

A hug to you too :)

• Hi Moonbat,

I've just posted my latest rather dreary blog as I've been feeling really low. When I'd posted it I saw an Admin had posted one of your blogs so I've just gone through and read the whole lot! It has cheered me up no end. I love the idea of your shed - your very own haven, fab!

I have had a look at your bags too and expect to be putting in an order soon. I think I might venture out tomorrow and visit the local craft shop and find something that I would like to do. I have done cross stitch in the past and consider myself creative, and your blog has inspired me to go and do something to take my mind off all this cancer c**p.

I hope your meeting goes well x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi PinkSparkle

Thanks so much, I'm delighted that you're going to have a go a getting crafty. It's worked for me and it's worth a go and you never know, at the end you'll have something to look back on to remind yourself that it wasn't all bad. There are plenty of places online that give a good service if you don't have anything local. I get most of my stuff online, much cheaper than the high street :)

Cancer is indeed c**p, big time but we're all mucking in together to get through it. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to let off steam, heaven knows we all need to sometimes!

Very good news from today's meeting, the surgeon is happy to do the oophorectomy (ovary removal). He thought it made sense and scheduled me in without any questions, I was a very happy chappy leaving the hospital. Quite why I had to fight to get the appointment I don't understand. Heigh ho.

Happy crafting x