Smoking until the end - any advice?

1 minute read time.

Hello.

This is my first ever blog and not entirely sure what I'm doing!

My father has been given a very short prognosis of a number of weeks. He originally had bladder cancer which was treated but the treatment masked the effects of rare cancer cells originating in the pancreas and travelling to the peritoneum around the intestines and stomach.

He is an alcoholic and has smoked at least a packet of cigarettes a day for over 30 years. There does not appear to be a direct link between this second cancer he has developed and smoking/drinking but I cannot imagine it has helped the situation - I still feel so angry that he chose those things over his family for so many years - even now when he is so unwell he is smoking more than ever and sits outside smoking one after the other and doesn't seem to want to sit with is family inside the house because he doesn't smoke inside. I can't get my head around his decisions - surely now at the end when he's done so much damage to himself he is still choosing cigarettes over his family. I realise it is an addiction and nothing we have ever said has encouraged him to stop but when is enough enough? It is so upsetting for everyone and makes it so hard to be kind and loving to him when we feel we get nothing back. He doesn't seem to want to spend time with us or talk, even for five minutes if that is all he feels up to.

If anyone out there has had similar experiences or is a smoker and unwell, please can you help me to try and understand. I don't want to be angry any more.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi knoll, i'm so sorry to hear about your dad, i think it's too late to ask him to stop smoking now, he probabley 'needs' his smokes now more than ever before. i have lung cancer caused through smoking - although i gave up several years ago-even now i have to talk myself out of taking up the habit again to 'help' me get through the cancer????. cigarettes are very powerfull props. i can understand your anger and frustration, i found talking on here does help so take care hugs and x's sue

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi knoll

My best friend was a smoker, sun worshipper and party animal. She got lung cancer and tried to fight it with healthy eating but never gave up the fags. At the time i felt frustrated but it ended up being her only pleasure. at the time her partner made her even give up coffee. I thought if she wants it let her have it. dont feel angry at him smoking, let him, it might be the only thing that makes him feel normal or not stressed. If Janet was here today I'd even buy her a packet (totally against my beliefs) just to see her smile and laugh again. sending u a hug. jinny

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi my mum has lung cancer, terminal and smoking related.  She has smoked for 50+ years and I am also a smoker.  After mums diagnosis we both tried to give up (a number of times) but just found everything too stressful and were advised that this was probably not the time to do it.  We know it's madness doing the very thing that caused mums illness in the first place but we are no longer stressing ourselves out about it as it was making mum and I feel so much worse.  There is no doubt it is an addiction, many say worse than heroine.  I know it must be hard for you, as a non-smoker, to watch your dad continuing with it in his present circumstance but try to be tolerant.  Don't nag your dad but talk to him about how much you love him and why you worry about him still smoking.  Enjoy the time you have with him, cherish every moment.  I must just tell you that although my mum was diagnosed as terminal with aggressive small cell in November 2009 she is, at the moment, N.E.D. No Evidence of Disease!  She's not cured but it's not there at the moment and I cherish every moment she is with me.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Not sure I can help - my husband got tongue cancer, which is very strongly associated with smoking and drinking - and he does neither.  I have found lots of times we are both angry that this happened, and the anger sometimes gets displaced eg we feel angry when the NHS treats us a bit shabbily or we feel angry that we weren't given this or that piece of information.  But really the anger is because someone you love is suffering, and there is no reason why - it's just their cells have gone crazy and tried to kill them.  I try to accept my anger, not suppress it, because really and truly it's normal.  Don't know if this helps - maybe not, but I wish you well.  Cathy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you to everyone. I wasn't sure how I would find this experience online but I am very thankful for all your comments, I can't believe so many people have taken the time to reply and your advice is invaluable.