no longer just a word

Less than one minute read time.

.....Cancer, no longer just a 'word' that happens to other people. Do any of you feel the same? Or am I just being a selfish *****? Its only now that it no longer rolls off my lips like any other word, it now sticks in my throat like a massive lump of pity. I keep saying it in my head over and over and over, you know sometimes when you say a word, any word, over and over it loses its meaning? Its almost as if I keep saying it in my head then it will lose its meaning and significance, is that dumb? Still coming to terms with it, hope it gets easier to cope with, got to stay strong for my wee dad.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

You are not being selfish at all, you need to look after you as well - you will be no good to anyone if you become ill - been there and done that years ago!.  Delegate, as Susan says people will help if asked; would your parents neighbours help?  You could also ask the Mac nurse if there are support groups or help with travel and parking, could you get reserved parking especially if your Mum is older.

Take care

Love Carol x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sue and Carol,

Thanks for those comments, after I thought about it I couldn't believe how selfish I must have sounded but you have reassured me!

Just back, Dad got his laparospocy yesterday and they said they didnt THINK it was anywhere else, but they did a 'wash'?  whatever that is?  And it was sent to the lab.    He has to go in on thursday for his fitness test.   However, he is 76 and while he is very fit, ie: walks everywhere, plays golf, doesnt drink or smoke, he had a minor stroke 13 years ago, and they seem to think that may have a bearing on it?   But we will have to see.  This worries him as they keep doing tests to see if it has spread then when they have done it they come up with another one, he says he thinks they are just going to keep doing tests until they find it somewhere else!  I tried to reassure him that they probably need to be sure before they decide on the op as they dont want any surprises.

I had bought him tickets to see the Jolson musical tomorrow night but he doesnt think he will make it, he has three staples in and is still very sore (I bought the tickets before we knew his diagnosis), so I think my aunt and uncle might go in his place.   I couldnt face going he was a big Jolson singer years ago and I would spend the night in tears!

Two of my uncles have offered if we need help with the driving (and no, the parking in Scotland AINT FREE!, they recently changed it all as people were abusing the car park, ie commutors etc) but I need to learn to delegate as you said.   Thats my problem I think no one can do it quite like me!   Ha ha!   My husband says I need to try and take myself out of the equazion so I guess as time goes on I will need to try and apply that advise!

Thanks again girls,

Love netty xx