Boots to do Chemotherapy

2 minute read time.

I read with absolute incredibility that Boots are going to do our chemo.  No I have not been drinking.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1349687/NHS-reform-Cancer-sufferers-given-chemotherapy-Boots-branches.html

Why were we not told about this when Paul Burstow MP visited Macmillan?  That would have been an important discussion.

Boots is nearer than the hospital – it is the only thing I can find in its favour.

On the off side:

1.              Parking needs to be immediately outside.  Ambulances can drive through pedestrian areas - mere mortals have to find a parking space – and who feels like walking a distance.  Where are the wheelchairs.  What about  the parking fees.  Does Andrew Lansley the Health Secretary who has made this agreement with Boots realise that we do not have ministerial cars with a chauffeur and free parking.  There is a limit on how long one can stay at a public metered parking slot.  I suspect Lansley is used to private health care too.

2.              There is certainly no room at the present Boots for these services.

3.              Who is going to prescribe the anti sickness tablets.  Will there be doctors on site too.  What about reactions to chemo.

4.              Who is going to provide the 24 hours emergency care.

5.              Who is going to take care of the records – hospitals lose them even under the same roof.

6.              What is going to happen to the Macmillan services in the hospitals.  No one is going to make special visits to a hospital just to go to the centres.  Macmillan nurses do not do nursing so are unlikely to go to off site Boots centres.  

My lovely Macmillan nurse is key in my treatment.  She understands my fears.  If I have a problem it is her who always sorts things.  I don’t want her flitting from hospital to Boots.

Is this a plot for next year’s pantomime or Carry On film?  On the other hand if Boots were to do walk in ultrasound scans, particularly for ovarian cancer I would have been impressed.  As you can guess I am not all all impressed and wonder what other cancer patients think of this scheme.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've just read the article and can't believe it!  The usual chemo described is also inaccurate and varies from patient to patient depending on the type of cancer and the type of chemo.  I think it is ridiculous to suggest patients could just pop in to Boots for their chemo.  I really am dumbfounded, although with the present government nothing is such a surprise to me.  A bunch of complete idiots hell bent on bringing not just to its knees but falling flat on its face!  What an absolute joke!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The Daily Mail has a reputation for scare-mongering.  I wouldn't get too uptight about it - it may be something they are considering for patients who would prefer it rather than have a long journey to the hospital, and I'm sure, even if it comes off (which I'm sceptical about) all those issues would be taken into consideration.  Jeanie  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Don't worry lady, it's just the daily mail- they've also announced the cure for cancer several hundred times.lx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Trouble is they have printed it as thought it is a signed agreement.  I expect to read a miinisterial disclaimer if it is not true.

How can anyone even think of putting a chemo facility in a chemists - GERMS AND DISEASE.  Perhaps they dont realise that's why most people go to chemists.

They would need a separate building.  Who will pay for this contruction - the taxpayer.  If hospitals cant run the facilities with the premises, equipment, staff etc better than a new set up financially then there is something seriously wrong with the management.

Do we not all recall where all smaller hospitals and clinics were absorbed into the larger hospitals to save costs........ why this turn around.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

A typical Chemotherapy session for my wife consisted of Bloods being taken at around 8.00am. This was followed by a prolonged wait to meet with the Oncology team who would be interested in the smallest detail of reactions to previous Chemo session and any medications to relieve symptoms.

After the space of about three hours from the initial Blood test the laboratory would prepare the chemotherapy drugs. This would be based on the outcome of the blood tests and other factors such as weight and oncologist's recommendations. Then transfer to the chemotherapy suite could take place and more waiting while appropriate facilities became available. Then would follow a 10 to 14 hour period of chemotherapy infusion. That would be a good day. Sometimes we would not leave the chemo suite till 1.00 or 2.00 the following morning. All in all our visit would have taken in the region of 17 to 18 hours. When things did not go smoothly and an adverse reaction took place Doctors were called and intervention determined. On occasions this meant admission to a ward at the hospital.

I thnk Boots could do the Chemotherapy for all cancer patients if they closed their shops and opened as general hospitals with 24 hour trained nursing and medical staff. It just is not going to happen.