a bit blah

2 minute read time.

It's a month since J's dad's funeral and his house is awaiting being sold. It's odd driving into town and not going round to see him! J is 'okay' and 'fine' and hasn't said a word about his dad at all. Nothing! He appears quite cheerful and is busily getting on with life, so I just leave him to it and make sure he knows he has someone to talk to, should hell freeze over and he wants a Heart to Heart. Very heavily starched upper lip, has J.

Mother is on the phone every day, obviously lonely, and I do my best to be cheerful and positive and so on. #1 daughter spent 3 weeks with her, helping to catalogue 2,500 books (some of my dad's library). That was fine, but when daughter got home, it transpired she had been bitten by some monstrous insect and the bite was horribly infected: as in Jabba the Hut living on the back of her thigh. Many, many, many visits to doctors, nurses and out of hours surgery later, she has still got a packed wound and has twice-weekly dressing changes by the pracice nurses. The infection has gone (I think) and she can now walk again, so that's good. It was very nasty but she's a stoical lass (unlike her mother).

Son is due to start work at Mercedes on Monday, an induction day, so he's raring to go. Quite a weird feeling, my little boy (16 and 5'9 and still growing) being a Working Man. Life is all change, isn't it... No standing still.

Stepdaughter #2 is now 36 weeks pregnant and has got to the fed-up stage (I remember it well) and just wants the baby to arrive and for all to be well. She was on heavy medication when she conceived (unplanned) so we'll all be relieved to see Junior here, fit and well, God willing.

I am in the process of reducing my dosage of my antidepressants, currently on 20mg, down from 30, in the hope of getting rid of them once and for all. I was down to 10mg every other day, last summer, before my dad's cancer became terminal, and that was the end of that. I've put on about 2 stones in the last 18 months (probably due to my own idleness, greed and nothing to do with the drugs or the menopause, which I blame for everything). I'm a bit fed up with being flabby and round but am making a big effort to move more and eat less and hope that makes a difference.

I find myself quite down and disheartened today: despite a letter telling me that my routine smear test result is 'normal'. On this site, of all places, that is great news, and I am SO thankful for it. Memo to self: stop whingeing and start counting blessings. Not sure if the reduced-level pills have anything to do with it, but I'm very tense and jumpy and tired, and not a lot of fun to be with. Trivial things are upsetting me and I don't like it!

End of ramblings: nothing really wrong, except in my head. Just wanted to tell somebody.

Anonymous
  • As others have said we all get the down days but come through them.Seems there's a lot going around in your head and I hope writing it down and getting it out has helped.So many good things in there too your sons new job,a new baby to look forward to and clear smear results.It is hard being all things to all men and women but somehow you get on with it and through the highs and lows.A lot seems to have happened in a short time and the old saying of it takes time comes to mind.Your doing really well to start to come off the anti depressants so keep going and just because you have a down day doesn't mean your going all the way back to square one I imagine in the begining of depression that down days dragged on longer but maybe now the down feeling passes much sooner.Sending more hugs Cruton x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

You are all so, so kind and helpful: I wish I'd found you years ago, but maybe the time wasn't right and I wouldn't have appreciated you enough back then... Thank you so much for being there: it's a new concept for me and it makes all the difference in the world.

x x x much love x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Minima,

I know I'm late getting to you but my feeble excuse is I've been doing my saintly things - pauses to bestow blessings all round -  meeting and greeting newbies in my new role as a champeen, & really didn't mean to neglect my old ( as in "dear", not longevity) friends.

Well, now I'm here I have to admit to meh days and I've no excuse to offer! You deserve your friends and you deserve a bit of coddling now and again so consider yourself well and truly coddled. Funny, I fell in love with a Wedgwood egg-coddler on Ebay a couple of years ago, bid like mad for it & won it - and it's still sitting inside the kitchen dresser, in pristine condition ... oh the guilt.

Good on you for cutting down the anti-deps, but not too fast too soon eh? I'd just started cutting mine down to 10mg when I got that dratted diagnosis last year & went straight back to 20mg a day. Now I'll have to give it another go. And I still miss the fags, aren't I a pain? And tomorrow it's dental checkup day with hygienist thrown in for a grisly bonus - don't let me depress you or anything! Teeth have always been my Achilles heel. (Do I really mean that? there must be a better metaphor..)

Anyway, you can as you know always be sure of a warm welcome whether you're happy, sad or just meh. So don't be shy.

With love and hugs,

Twirly xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Huge hugs and lots of understanding Minima xxx

( I blame everything on menopause too, but don't tell the men that ) !!!!!!!

Love & lots of hugs 

Roobs xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Evening Minima

Just wanted to send you some more hugs

Glad that your daughter seems to be on the mend, that sounds horrendous, did they ever work out what it was that actually got her?? Does it have a name? We'll have to put pictures up all over warning people to stay away!!

Good luck to son for Monday! Is he nervous? 

Like the others have said, everyone has bleugh days and you're allowed to whinge and tell us all about anything you want, you've had a proper manic time lately, so much happening, so you're bound to have up days and down days. Good for you for trying to move more, I always find that exercise gives me a bit more energy. Or maybe its chocolate that does that. Hmmm. 

A new baby on the way is exciting news! Bet you all can't wait. Do they know what they are having?

Lots of love xxxx