first time here just need some help/advice :(

2 minute read time.

Hi everyone - Im new to this site and have been reading other peoples heartwarming blogs so thought I would write my own. God knows where to start...

On january 4th 2011 my dad had what we now know as a seizure, and basically frit the life out me and my mum so had to get an ambulance..he spent 10 days in there with suspected swine flu until he became so confused they gave him a precautionary cat scan..multiple hi tec scans later and finally a brain biopsy confirmed the worst unexpected life changing news could ever imagine..my dad..the strong rock of the family never ad a day ill in his life..has been diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme - a grade 4 (highest possible) very aggressive malignant brain tumour for which we have been told it is too dangerous to remove and cannot be cured, but can be treated with intense radiotherapy and chemotherapy to prolong his life for as long as possible.

Sorry what??? My gut just wrenches again its all way way too surreal, in the space of 2 weeks we had had a lovely normal xmas, dad was active and independent man of the house as usual and now he has the worst cancer of the brain possible?

I cant understand it, dont get me wrong I am bein strong for my dad and family I have to be, but when Im alone in my room at night I feel physically ill and heartbroken,,completely in shock and despair...its a physical pain in my heart and i dont know what to do about it.

Hes doing ok at the minute, had first course of chemo and gets tired, not sleeping at night, gets fidgety and frustrated and easily confused which is so hard to see the changes.

Next week he starts an intensive 6 week course of radio and chemotherapy and we are dreading seeing the effects i literally feel strange with it all I am so so terrified of the future. Im 28, not yet found the love of my life or married or had kids, my dad is my world and the closest thing to me and if this disease takes him from me I dont know what to do, but I cant think like that I have to stay positive and get on with the norm as best as possible.

anyway, could go on forever am in a total daze with it all really although everyone tells me ive been amazing..ive took full responsibility of sorting all his benefits now he cant work (was a driver) which has kept me focused, i sort his medication, hospital apts etc as he forgets and my mum has a poor memory too although in good health - I have also somehow enteres race for life this yr - I dont know how I do it but when im left alone with ym thoughts im so frightened im falling apart inside :(

if anyone can give me advice or hope or anything remotely good maybe about experiencing this disease would be much appreciated as I feel so lost

thankyou xxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi booboo

As a 31 year old in the same boat, I can understand exactly what you are going through!  

In March 2009, my dad was on holiday in thailand when he took a similar turn.  One day later i was on a plane on my own to be with him as he was diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme stage 4.  

Dad had an operation in Bangkok but they could not remove the whole thing as it was too dangerous.

The treatment was the same - intensive radiotherapy to start then courses of chemotherapy.

I also sorted out the benefits, took him to appointments, took him out when he wanted to go and rang him every night to chat.  

I expect you feel like you are on auto pilot at the moment and going through the motions of being positive when actually you just want to crumble.

I hated seeing dad get in a muddle with things!  Trust me, you sorting out the benefits and appointments will be such a massive help because i know that my dad got confused easily so when he knew that he didnt have to remember those things it made him feel less forgetful.

Dad used to get worried about treatments but i used to say as we do not know whats going to happen, lets not presume!  Presuming is not based on fact.  Everyone is different and people react differently to treatments!  

Dad was initially thinking he was going to be so sick but actually he was completely shattered for 3 or 4 days then would start to feel more like himself.

I know you are worried about the changes but, speaking from experience, youll see that your dad will still be your dad!  

Staying strong is the best thing you can do but the only way you do is by having the odd moment where you are human!  You need to be able to have a good cry!  I know you are scared as you have never felt pain like this but you have to have times when you let it out and vent!

They told us that he would only have 3 -6 months to live but dad was with us for 18 months!  Its not long enough but we made the time count!

Ive been through it and really know how you feel.  I have so much that i can say about this - please feel free to ask me ANYTHING and i promise i will be honest!

Thinking of you.xxxxx

Sara

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there,

This is my first time on here so yes I'm a newby!

My elderly mother (82) has been diagnosed with glioblastoma grade 4 just 6weeks ago after her balance began to fail her, she had lots of falls. But I also noticed a dramatic change in her personality, she has always been a 'feisty' lady but her anger was increasing and I also noticed she seemed to be less inhibited, she didnt seem to care if she upset/embarrassed anyone.

I'm pretty good at organising care,power of attorney washing and ironing etc but we haven't actually discussed how this is going to progress..and I'm not sure how I can broach it or even if I should?? I've been told we have 6months with her but she isn't aware of this...

God there's so many issues to deal with, I'm not sure if any of this is making sense!!

If anyone else is as muddled as me, it would be good to hear from you!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone ,this is my first time here too i have been putting off joining this site for so long but really now feel the need to chat to ppl as i feel so alone in my thoughts everyone always asks how my husband is but most ppl forget to ask how i`m feeling!!. My husband was diognosed with gbm4 back in feb 2010 when he was admitted to hospital with a stroke after having all the usually tests etc,he has had a biopsy and debulking of the right frontal lobe, also 26 sessions of RT and 2 six week sessions of tablet form chemo which ended in nov, he was quite ill during treatment with tiredness and sickness but after that was finished he seemed to recover really quickly and was almost back to his old self,he has since had another 2 scans which have shown no activity but in the last one in april there were really very slight signs or things recurring but as he was doing really well the onc said she was not really worried at that time, since that scan i have noticed qquite a few changes in him mainly that he is rather more aggressive verbally more forgetful says quite hurtful things and his memory is getting worse he is sleeping more .HE has just had his next 3mthly scan last week and we are back at onc appt next week for results (which i am dredding) i might add as i know there is going to be some significant changes especially as his headaches are back and thats how things started.I have been coping really well till now but i dont know how i am going to carry on the same way if the news is not good,he is 64 years old and i am 56 we only got married a year ago this sunday ,we have known each other for many years and been together for 8 of them,at first diognosis he was given 6-12 mths so all these  extra mths are a bonus ,i knew i would have to face it soon but am really unprepared as we have put it to the back of our minds and just got on with our lives the best way we can,now i just need someone to talk to who is or has been through the same thing.I would just like to say that he has refused any further treatment as they have said it would only prolong his life by about 4 mths and he says he would rather have a quality of life rather than suffer any more treatment that is not going to work,i have to respect his wishes after all it is his body and he has to make his own choices on what he wants.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    <p>Hello, I was diagnosed with brain cancer six months ago after being blue lighted to hospital with a suspected mini stroke. Nope, turns out to be a g4 tumour&nbsp;</p> <p></p> <p>since then I&rsquo;ve had surgery, 6 weeks of&nbsp;chemo and radio therapy, just about to start a further six months of &nbsp;chemo. &nbsp;I think I&rsquo;ve been relatively lucky and been given chemo tablets rather than via a port , as from what I understand the side effects are less . &nbsp;My oncologist seems very pleased with me, even though I&rsquo;m so ridiculously tired all the time, but she is at pains to ensure I understand it&rsquo;s incurable. &nbsp;This is the bit I&rsquo;m struggling with. &nbsp;I won&rsquo;t know &nbsp;until after I finish in six months what my prognosis is. &nbsp;I&rsquo;m so constantly fatigued have no energy to do anything ; I&rsquo;ve gone from fit and healthy one day to cancer sufferer the next , thanks to the meds&rsquo; I have &nbsp;put ion two stone and look like a hwmster(thank you steroids), so I feel like everything that makes me &ldquo;me&rdquo; has been stripped away from me, I&rsquo;m really struggling to process it all&nbsp;</p>