This is not the news I was looking for

Less than one minute read time.

So, this is what happened at the hospital yesterday:

I'm currently on a regimen of three weeks of Paclitaxel, followed by a week off. One side-effect of Taxel is neuropathy - numbness/pins and needles/pain in the fingers and toes. I've had very bad pains in my fingers for the past couple of weeks. I assumed that the consultant would accordingly change my drug to one that wouldn't have this side-effect. However, she didn't. From what she said, there aren't that many drugs options available. I was on Carboplatin before, but she says we can't go back on that. The only other possibility she mentioned is an oral chemo, and she didn't sound very certain that would be effective. So I'm having an extra week off chemo, and she's prescribed some vitamin B complex pills that might help with the neuropathy.

In other words, if I want to continue cancer treatment, which I do, I'll have to put up with the side-effects of Taxel. Which might involve permanent damage to my fingers and/or toes.

None of which I find very reassuring.

Kind of sick of all this, to be honest. As who, I am sure, is not.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm not unfashionable Hils; it's just that this day and age is takijng rather a long time to get its fashion sense right!

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry that it's bad news :(  Have they offered you anything useful to try to help with the pain?  There are various (legal) drugs which aim to treat nerve pain...

Cannabis sadly does come with side effects of its own (and problems associated with its illegality - e.g. possible irregularity of supply and quality).  Some people do seem to find it helpful - and if, for example, I'd tried all the anti-nausea drugs when I was getting chemo and they didn't work then I might have been tempted... - but unfortunately I doubt it's a panacea.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ground is right about cannabis and since cannabis today is stronger than previously the side effects are more dangerous. It is illegal for a very good reason, not just because some people enjoy it.

have some more hugs. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Soothing, pain killing, squidgy hugs to you dearest Hils,  As if you haven't enough to put up with eh?  All pot ever did for me was make me throw up but I do know it helped my friend Marko in the earlier years of his MS.  Or at least he said it did!  Sometimes I think he was so whacked out on the stuff he could have been run over by a train and he wouldn't have felt a thing!

Vitamin B is a bit of a miracle vitamin and helps with so many things, particularly for us ladies of a particular age, so it might do some good.  And maybe the oral chemo would help you too if that is still an option.

You will not, now or ever, be left out in the cold and if you feel that you are being, then say so to your docs.  I think they would be horrified to know that you are feeling this way my lovely.

Sending you all my love, big squidgy hugs and strength.

Nin xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

PS - Odin you are a wonderful God and those that don't appreciate you should be sent to the nether regions of your realm, there to suffer for eternity!!!!!!