The kindness of strangers

2 minute read time.

People send me cards from time to time. Sometimes they're people I don't even know, other than from the internet.

I got one of these today, and the timing couldn't have been better; I had another panic attack last night, and was in a bad state. Luckily I was able to see an emergency doctor this morning, and now have diazepam. I feel much better, and a bit stupid and embarrassed. There is absolutely no logic to these episodes, but no matter how much I tell myself that, I can't convince my own mind.

The panic attacks are not really surprising, I suppose - when I told the doctor I had increased cancer levels, had had my surgery cancelled, and was now waiting for more chemo, she said "you must have been devastated". Yeah, I guess that's pretty much the word. But there's nothing to be done about it; and when I do go on chemo, I know I'll get the best treatment the hospital has available. Still, I woke up at 4 this morning with my little heart pounding away, just like exam jitters, or driving lesson phobia, or vertigo, and it would not stop.

It didn't altogether help that the emergency surgery is in a tiny Portakabin. The waiting room was so tiny, I had to open the door and stick my head outside, and the examination room was not much bigger, and I had to ask to have the door left open.

It's not fun. Sorry to bang on about it. I was all heroic-like for the first few months, I think I'm in the 'something's gotta give' phase now.

And spare a thought for poor Judy, who has to deal with all this at first hand. I honestly don't know what I would do without her.

Now: onward! Excelsior, and that sort of thing.

(As if.)

We visited Sobell House, the hospice and day care centre affiliated with the Churchill, yesterday, btw - to talk to a doctor there, and to take a look around. I wasn't hugely overwhelmed, but I suppose it's one more group of people to turn to. Only not at night or at weekends, when you really need someone to turn to ... As far as the activities go, the only therapy I would really like is hypnotherapy, which they don't offer. They do do massages and yoga, but those are pretty fully booked. There's also 'music therapy' and 'art therapy', which don't inspire me. I once worked for a company that published a Musical Bingo game for the old and feeble; I wasn't expecting actually to be playing it just yet ...

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hils, I know you like your music, so go to you tube and listen to a song sung by Nina Simone "here comes the sun" it always makes me smile, try it !!!!

Sending you Hugs

Roobs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, everyone. Wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in a big commune so that we could share physical hugs? There are days (like these) when I wish I was ickle and could climb into my mum's bed and have her make everything better.

Disclaimer: this never really happened, my mother would have given me a smack and sent me back to my own bed fairly sharpish. I have to fantasise about other people's mothers, how sad is that?

Also, I have had some experience of communal living, and it is really only for the young. Also also, 'Cancer Street' would be the most unappealing name for a soap opera ever.

I'm about to go to bed, and hope that tonight is better than yesterday. I have my drugs to hand - oh, I didn't say, the doctor has also given me Lofebrapine, which is an anti-depressant I've had before, as well as the Diazepam - and, lord knows, I'm pretty tired after last night, so fingers crossed.

My lovely brother is coming to see me tomorrow. That's something to look forward to.

Love and hugs all round,

- Hilary

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Night  Hils, hope you have a better sleep tonight and please don't be scared, can you really imagine living with Tim and all those fish and maggots!!!!!!

xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hilary

I can only imagine what its like to be diagnosed with cancer. I do know what its like to care for a husband with cancer, but I certainly know all about panic attacks.

I used to have them 30 years ago, often been found on my hands and knees at the back door trying to get some air. I have been talked out of hyper-ventilating by a GP on the phone, and wouldnt go anywhere without a good old brown paper bag!

Apparently breathing into a paper bag with it over your nose so you can breathe in carbon monoxide is not advisable these days!!!!

Obviously the idea comes from Health and Safety, that would be right then!

I hope you have a really good nights sleep tonight, and a much better day tomorrow.

Lots of hugs and best wishes

Respect

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Think I have got my carbons wrong, I am sure LM will correct me!!

I do accounts not chemistry!!!

Sleep well x