On the third day ...

3 minute read time.

Woe, alas and lackaday - or perhaps something less dramatic - our Saturday morning chemo sessions are no more, yesterday's was the last. I can't say I'm surprised; it was very quiet last time, and this time, from what I could tell (I was asleep for most of it), I was the only bed patient, and no more than maybe half a dozen more people came in during my six hours. Well, you can't possibly justify opening and staffing a clinic at that level. I deduce that someone thought the clinic was a Good Idea - which it is - and then didn't bother to see to the administration; or, possibly more likely, that the administration got handed over to someone who thought it was a Bad Idea and/or just couldn't be arsed and who deliberately scuppered it.

Anyway, the rest of my sessions are on Mondays - I think; where and oh where has my Little Red Chemo Book gone? - at 10.00, which Judy is not pleased about as she will have to fight the tail end of commuter traffic and will have huge problems parking, and which I am not pleased about as it will be much noisier and I may have to fight to baggsy a bed.

As I say: woe.

Anyhow: yesterday's session went much as predicted: arrive, wave vaguely at nurse, collapse on bed, get cannulated, get pre-medded, get poisoned x 2, sleep more or less throughout, go home. No emergency poo stop this time, hurrah! Avoid the tuna sandwiches, is my advice.

Any medical news? H'm, let me think. My red cell count is down - this might account for Mr Crab demanding bacon sandwiches, steak and chips, etc - but no-one had any very sensible advice on how to get it up again. It might have to be bacon sandwiches. I do have iron pills somewhere about the place, but they have tragic effects on my tummy at the best of times, and this is not the best of times. Although nor yet the worst of times neither.

And Chemo Nurse went against the tide of popular opinion and strongly advised against a flu jab, mainly due to aforementioned cell count. So sick people - not to be insensitive, but stay away from me, please!!

Back home and to bed, to horridly crampy legs and very cross cats. As we were going out early and not getting back till mid-afternoon, we didn't let them out in the morning and then we kept them in on account of fireworks - also on account of the ShadowCat's little misadventure last week. Oh, they were displeased!

And that ... pretty much ... is that. I'm fairly awake today, but very shaky - there's a wobbly feeling in the middle of my chest that, most disobligingly, never shows up in any scans or tests or anything - which means that I feel as if I should be up and doing ("Filthy house!" chants my conscience, "Just look at it!"), but can't actually do anything of the sort. Bugger, bugger, bugger.

(Didn't the 'creativity' forum used to be called something a little less inelegant than 'arty farty'? I feel sure I wouldn't have joined a group called that. Just saying.)

Judy has to go to a friend's daughter's confirmation today. I do not think this will be the high point of her life. 

Which reminds me, Judy very kindly send off for a free DVD/booklet on 'look good ... feel better'. AHAHAHAHA, as if! It's all about how to put your slap on when Mr Crab fucks you over. I hate to say it, but a little mascara is not going to make me feel any better in any way whatsoever. I didn't wear make-up pre-Crab, so I'm not likely to start now. My personality, my emotional wellbeing and, dare I say it, my femininity are neither manufactured by nor dependent on Revlon.

/hairy-legged (only not any more) 70s feminist.

I'm expecting former colleague Tina at some point today. I may have to lie on the sofa and let her talk. The brain is willing, but the body seems determined to screw me over. DO NOT LIKE! GIMME SPOONS! GIMME THEM NOW!

Huh. A DVD on 'How not to turn into a raging bitch during cancer' might be more to the point.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hilary,

Cancer's a bitch, a bastard and a bully, & thwarts you every which way, I've found. I've taken to a different method of checking if my hair's starting to grow back: instead of trying to examine my scalp ( which invoves two mirrors and a lot of awkward neck twists), I now feel my armpits. Haven't shaved them for months, no need, so they will be my indicators of progress.

Not that much of this is relevant to you, but I was sure you'd be keen to know...

I love make-up, I need a face to face the world with, to coin a cliche. However at my age less is more, I find. There are two old dears I often see who have misguided ideas about where their eyebrows should be; they draw emphatic arcs roughly an inch below their hairline, which brings to mind Coco from circus days. But I admire them tremendously for not giving a damn and for doing their thing & sod what people may think.

So no flu jab? There probably won't be much flu this year anyway. Having a cold is almost as bad. I didn't pick up any infections at all during chemo, it's only since that it's happened. Still, I suppose theoretically I should be able to cope better, physically. Only a theory though.

My mother used to give us Minadex as a tonic/supplement in the winter. She was keen on stuff like Virol and cod liver oil & malt too. Fortunately I liked it all. Maybe some vitamin capsules would help you?

I hated Monday chemo sessions, they lasted at least 10 hours and I never got a bed. In fact there were only two beds on the ward & mostly they were used by the very weakest patients.  Sitting on a plastic-covered armchair all day was not a pleasant nor a dry experience. I always felt as if I'd wet myself & took to wearing Tena pads, but it was only perspiration. Almost as annoying though.

Well I'd advise you, as if you needed it, to ignore the housework. There are priorities when you've got Mr. Crab: dust & mess aren't among them. You, on the other hand, are No. 1. Cosset yourself.

Love & hugs,

Annie  xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, Nin. I'll check the iron tonic out with my GP, as advised by the webpage. I need to talk to her again soon anyway, as my sick note ends on the 13th. Somehow I do not think that I shall be returning to work any time soon, certainly not this year!

Re the clinic - one gets to a point in one's life when one knows altogether too much about how admin and management systems work. One person has a genuinely good idea; someone else kills it stone dead. (Actually, this attitude may simply be a result of watching too much Yes Minister back in the day. The sad thing about that is, how true to life many people in a position to know said it was!)

Colin, and your one-eyed alter-ego - *hugs* back. I have better days, and I have worse days. Chemo is never fun. But I still maintain that I would rather be a patient (albeit an impatient one) than a carer, having to watch someone I loved deteriorate before my eyes, any day.

I think I shall demand a charm bracelet for Christmas - a solid silver one, of course, because I have cancer and so I deserve it - and then collect spoon charms. Following which I shall probably be unable to lift my arm ever again.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The bracelets me and ems have are called trollbeads and they have welsh love spoon charms for them... and other fun stuff such as a mad hatters' teaparty one which makes me smile... and then if you can't lift your arm, you can't do housework so no feeling bad.. weighed down by silver dahling...

I have been living off floradix and floravital most of my life... join the club! Its a fun club (honest)

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just a load of ((((((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))))) for you, Hilary !

Love, Joycee xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

LM - sod the bracelet, I'm asking for this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clogau-Gold-Sterling-Lovespoon-Pendant/dp/B000RO2B5Q/ref=sr_1_8?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1320588180&sr=1-8

Everyone else - sorry, spoon level dropping - I may have done something A Bit Naughty - going to lie on sofa. Replies later!

*lots of hugs all round*

xxx